cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Escaping heat next summer?

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We escaped to Colorado for a month this summer, getting away from coastal Texas heat and humidity. It was fine but we have been to Colorado a lot, either on summer vacations or fall elk hunting.
I'm open to somewhere else. Thinking upper Minnesota, Michigan, etc. Maybe New England. I don't think I want to pull from Houston across the Rockies to Seattle. We've done the Smokies, but not ruling that out.
I would want full hook ups, shade, and nearby fishing.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
27 REPLIES 27

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Glacier NP July 2018. Temps at home in Texas were 110-117 during the day of the heatwave, 97-102 normally. Was 75 during the day and upper 50's during the night.
Would like to try Banff or Jasper next time we're up that way.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Ruidoso does have good temps...July is 52/80. 800 miles and 12 hours from the Houston area. Not bad.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
If I lived in TX I'd head to the Ruidoso New Mexico area for cooler weather. I've watched the temp in that area every day this summer and it's been very pleasant compared to TX and AL.

If I wanted to be cooler and do some fantastic fishing, I'd head to a little town in Idaho, and stay all summer.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bruce_Kyles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed no one has suggested Ruidoso NM to get away. We spent part of the summer there in 2018 and it is beautiful. It is at around 7200 ft and great scenery. Depending on where you are in tx either a 1 or 2 day drive. We found that's LOTS of Texans call this home in the summer.
2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2016 Ford F150

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Williams, AZ is a nice little town west of Flagstaff to escape the heat. 30 miles from Flag and all the good restaurants.
Betsy

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Look into Door County, Wisconsin. Towns are Sturgeon Bay, Egg Harbor to look up the weather. I'm not sure about hookups. It's beautiful, lots of interesting history.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Portland isn't but 1,902 miles from me.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely want to see the Maine coast before I die. July average temps in Portland are 60/80. Tempting.

Go for it! The coast tends to be cooler than inland. It will be humid most days but usually bearable. Depending on how much time you have you can hit different spots along the coast. There are so many little towns with quaint shops and restaurants, you can go out sailing or whale watching and eat lobster to your heart's content. If you head up to Acadia you can get not only the coastal experience but also a taste of what Maine's interior looks like in Acadia National Park. Maine is our "get out of dodge" spot because it's close and has so many different types of areas to visit.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely want to see the Maine coast before I die. July average temps in Portland are 60/80. Tempting.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We leave Florida in early June, hit the mtn of NC for a week or so then head to the Maine coast. Stay there 5-6 weeks then head to Michigan. Been doing that or variations of it for several years.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biting flies would drive the wife crazy.

Just a mention of the upper peninsula gets my wife started on complaining about the flies. And we only visited once many years ago.

Here is a trivia question: Why is the upper peninsula attached to Michigan when Wisconsin makes so much mmore sense? A hint Ohio figures into the answer.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do go in a bug season get a Thermacell. I used one bear hunting in Canada in May and I never could have made it without one. They are easily obtained at Walmart and are around $20. They work extremely well on Mosquitos, Black flies and a lot of other insects.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If bugs are an issue then definitely avoid May/June up here. Not only do we have the little biters but the greenhead flies can be vicious. Bugs are an issue all summer long up here, unless it's been very dry.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I first met the biting flies in Ohio. I think mid September in a state park on Grand Lake, waiting on sprint car races at Eldora. Those things are mean. We don't have biting flies, but everything else here bites or stings. If we do July it sounds like we would be OK. Biting flies would drive the wife crazy.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4