cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No water pressure when connected to city water.

carlos6466
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 Coleman Lantern Edition 295QB. Since I bought it, I have very little water pressure when connected to city water via the water inlet on the side of the trailer. There is plenty of water pressure when using the water pump.

I removed and replaced the one way valves (back-flow valves) on the end of the inlets as one was defective yet water still is only a trickle.

I do not have a pressure regulator on in the inlet or water supply so there is not a defect there. I've tested the water pressure and it is at 80 psi.

I connected the water to a different intake source, in this case, the water hot water heater, and the water flowed normally without the water pump on.

The trailer has a sealed (winterized) bottom, so I can't look underneath to see if the water line is damaged or crushed. I suspect it is in the floor which I don't want to tear up.

I could create a new water intake point but that opens up the trailer to another point of failure not to mention that shouldn't be something that I have to do.

I've drained all the water and blew all the water out, a flush if you will, and that didn't do anything.

The aerators at the sinks and the hose washer with debris filter are not restricted. I do not have a water filter system installed in the water line.

The hot water heater is connected correctly.

I will not go to the dealer because of ongoing bad experiences so everything I do will have to be done by myself. I also wouldn't want them tearing up the floor. I am a full-time RV-er so giving up the trailer for any length of time isn't practical for me. I can do all the work as this is my second trailer. The first I had full-time for ten years.

I suspect that something is in the PEX line but I don't think that removing and replacing it is possible without heavy and significant damage to the trailer.

So, has anyone had this problem? Any fixes? Anything else I could check? Does anyone know if Coleman installed a pressure reducer inline with the intake connection point that could have malfunctioned and I could remove?

Thanks greatly for any help or advice.
10 REPLIES 10

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
carlos6466 wrote:

I removed and replaced the one way valves (back-flow valves) on the end of the inlets as one was defective yet water still is only a trickle.

This is probably your answer. In the line right after where this faulty check valve was replaced you will likely find a piece of the old valve at the first elbow or tee. It will be kind of "T" shaped like a valve in a gas motor.
When the spring clip comes off stem of the check valve the valve then travels down the line to the first restriction and then become a plug.
See the second picture at this link Check valve parts 5th item from the left is what you are looking for.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tear those anti-siphon check-valves out. They serve no purpose to YOU. If you have one going from the city water to the pump area, that's probably your problem. Maybe even installed backwards.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Can you remove the back-pressure valve, and back-flush your inlet pipe? Seeing how much garbage and debris the RV makers leave EVERYWHERE, you're probably right that something is caught up in there.

That said.... You're sure you didn't accidentally connect to the black tank flush? The two are identical on my trailer, and only cary by cap color.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Follow the line from the city water port to the first fixture, there must be a restriction. If you were to remove the cold water line to the water heater and back flush from there with the city water port check valve removed, maybe you could dislodge debris or at least check the flow. Another method would be to connect a garden hose to the cold water low point drain instead of at the water heater.

X2

When hooked up to city water, do you have "good" pressure, and then it quickly falls off to a trickle when you turn on a tap? If so, you must have a kink or some debris somewhere between between the source tap and the water heater. Have you checked the supply hose itself?

Remove the screen at the trailer inlet then backflush as Lynnmor suggests. There is a sink tap to garden hose adaptor made for backlash situations. Take the aerator off the tap, and screw the adaptor on in it's place. Hook the garden hose up and flush.

Maybe check your local hardware store for one. You may also need a female (edited) by female (edited) hose adaptor for the source end.

Could be that there is a kink in the pex line if the supply hose is good. Good luck locating it if it is not obvious.

As an aside, 80 PSI could be a bit much for your RV. I prefer something around 40-50. Not sure, but I believe that RV water systems are rated at something like 60PSI. Something for you to check out.

Hope this helps.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Does your trailer have separate fill openings for city water and fresh tank water? Or do you have one hookup and you flip a lever to direct the water?

If two fill openings the city water line most likely comes into the trailer behind a cabinet or under a piece of furniture. Have somebody stand by the water hookup and go inside the trailer and see what is on the inside wall. You'll probably be able to take out a drawer or look under or inside a cabinet and the fitting will be there.

Follow the line from the outside wall and cut out the first T that you come across. If the T is not clogged then put a bucket at the end of the hose inside and have someone turn on the city water for a second or two. I'll bet you find the problem is right there at the first T.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
Agree with what other have said...assuming you bought it new, Iโ€™m betting on a debris clog somewhere between the inlet and the supply tee. Is there an in-line filter or strainer that might be clogged? Our trailer had several lines and one faucet that were slow flowing due to debris from manufacturing.

I took off the strainers/aerators on all the taps, shower head, etc and didn't believe how many wood chips came out of there. The nitwit assemblers have absolutely no pride in workmanship.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with what other have said...assuming you bought it new, Iโ€™m betting on a debris clog somewhere between the inlet and the supply tee. Is there an in-line filter or strainer that might be clogged? Our trailer had several lines and one faucet that were slow flowing due to debris from manufacturing.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
If you have good pressure from your pump, but not city water, the restriction would be in the short section or fitting s from the city water inlet to where it tees into the main water feed line from the pump before the first fixture. After that point it's common plumbing to the whole RV, pressurized by either or both sources. Check inside your cupboards from where the city water inlet is to where that line connects with the line from the pump, usually fairly close to the pump. Hopefully just a link or pinched PEX line.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It's usually easy to get to water lines from the inside of the trailer. Inside cabinets, remove drawers, etc...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the line from the city water port to the first fixture, there must be a restriction. If you were to remove the cold water line to the water heater and back flush from there with the city water port check valve removed, maybe you could dislodge debris or at least check the flow. Another method would be to connect a garden hose to the cold water low point drain instead of at the water heater.