cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found it!! The converter I mean.

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2500 watt inverter to install in my 2003 Winnebago Journey. I plan to just plug the shore power into the inverter so I do not need a second transfer switch. I understand that if I do that the inverter will draw from the batteries and the converter will recharge the batteries using 110 power from the inverter. This will create an inefficient circular power loop.

My solution is to install a normally closed relay in the power supply to the converter that will be opened by the inverter whenever it is turned on. Sounds simple and it is except; where did the manufacturer hide the converter.

It is located under the refrigerator behind what looks like the cold air return for the heat. Go figure.
5 REPLIES 5

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are ok. What you are planning with the relay is exactly what I am planning when I get a higher wattage inverter. The only time the relay does anything is if the inverter is powered up, and that should make the relay last even longer.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Your 2500 watt inverter will NOT run your A/C units, block heater, etc!

Best way to use an inverter is to have a SUB-PANEL for those things you want to be able to run from the inverter.

I don't think a sub-panel will be necessary. My motorhome has a power control panel that I can set for a 15 amp power source. Since my inverter is 2500 watts is should be able to handle 15 amps. It will automatically shed loads as the power usage approaches 15 amps. That should be sufficient to prevent overloading the inverter. If that fails then my inverter has its own overload protection.

Tell me if I am wrong in my approach.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2500 watt inverter will NOT run your A/C units, block heater, etc!

Best way to use an inverter is to have a SUB-PANEL for those things you want to be able to run from the inverter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there a circuit breaker marked CONV?
If so try turning it off when you plug into the inverter.

NOTE it may turn off the AC to the fridg (if so that's a good thing)
ALso do not use electric water heat
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I plan to just plug the shore power into the inverter...”

If you are on shore power why is your inverter involved? Another 3:00 a.m. epiphany?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad