Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Wolves as Pets
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Wolves as Pets

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

down home wrote:

They say emphatically there are no wolves in Tennessee but..in 78 or79 I saw two gray wolves nearly run into my lap!
Folks in the County Historical Society where Mom was raised and I spent a lot of my youth report them also.
I have no doubt if I can get into the area I can capture one but hopefully, if I do it in the spring I can find a Pup.
This is all of course contingent on health.
Anyone here raised a full blood gray wolf for a pet and family protector?

For what it is worth:
I live in the high mountains of NC almost on the TN border.
We have Coyotes living on the mountain across from us and each night and occasionally during the day we can hear their yapping and barking.
We have lived on the west coast and have seen the Coyotes there, which are gray, but much smaller than gray wolves.
I was told that the Coyotes here are much larger and often mistaken for Gray wolves and finally several years ago had one cross the road in front of me one night. I was astounded at it's size and would have sworn it was a gray wolf, but the following morning a neighbor informed that what I saw was indeed a Coyote and sees them in his game cam lots of times.

Guy

I know what coyotes are. We have a group or family living not far from our back door. When we get home I'm going to have to try to deal with them. A good while back my So In Law walking his two pups were set pon by the Coyotes. He called the mother and Dad dogs who came and chased them away. I know what wolves are. My cousin had one for a guard dog and pet.
I don't know all the particulars but it was mostly black and weighed probably 160 lbs it was huge.He kept it penned except when he had it on a leash, which was in reality worthless if it decided to be mean.
A half breed or whatever percentage might be an option..not knowing from experience. My desire is not for a unique pet but for an intelligent but obedient family protector, friend and pet. We have had someone enter our home and our Former family defender Dakota, passed away three years ago, now, charged him inside the door and he ran.
Dakota looked the part of a wolf but weighed only 80 lbs or so.part Terrier and part Pit bull.(there is no such breed as pit bull),

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

I live in the piedmont of NC and have seen several large, gray coyotes that could trick one into believing they were wolves.

As far as wanting a wolf for a pet -- Why? Just ... why? There is no logical, sane reason I can think of that anyone would want or need one. If you want protection there are quite a number of breeds of dogs who would serve the purpose better, not to mention MUCH more reliably.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the closest anyone should come to having a wild animal as a pet is the domesticated house cat. [emoticon]

Tried a better reply and get the message invalid formatting. I have no idea what that might be.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you really want a large dog as a family protector look at the various livestock guardian dog breeds which were developed for protection and working with humans as opposed to wild canids which have no natural instincts to work with humans. I’d take my kangal or maremma over a wolf in terms of training and safety of family members.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I know of (choosing those words for precision) quite a few dog breeders from back in the day that were of the opinion that, for sled hauling (not racing) purposes, it was a waste of time and effort to try to raise / use full-blood wolves for that use: the wolves would eventually revert to form, lose training, usually run away, etc. The breeders seemed to prefer some mix of wolf and dog along the 1/4 - 3/4 ratio.

....no direct knowledge or any knowledge of wolves or wolf hybrids used for pets.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 years ago Walt Disney's choice for a source of movie wolves rolled into the parking area of a repair garage towing a trailer with a number of wolves inside.

Starting around 4' in height there was perforated metal. High enough to keep children from sticking fingers through the holes. And signs warning Wolves Will Bite Fingers Off.

Inside the wolves were pacing. Bright yellow eyes and four feet high at the shoulder.

They paced past me, looking right through me. I didn't exist.

That was enough for me.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Dancing with Wolves"

But that was just a movie.......

Border Collie, very intelligent, family oriented, good protector
But you have to be smarter then them

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I admit to just bouncing the idea around. Most people agree it is too big a challenge to integrate a wolf into the family. I certainly would not keep it caged.
Amazed, that I can keep a bear, with a permit but not a Bobcat or a wolf.
I had a Professor, long ago, that had one for a pet. He took t on speaking/video engagements, for kids, about the wild.
It would jump from the floor onto his shoulders . He was over 6 ft tall. it would chew the dickens out of his ears. Te cat's canines had been ground or taken out or something though. I wouldn't want to do that. The Kitten I caught, in the woods,and took to Grand Ma, for a pe,t as a young kid, was rough as a cob and I can still kinda see the scars.
I'm not going to take a wolf for pet and family protector.

* This post was edited 09/16/20 12:50am by down home *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Wolves as Pets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.