cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen and 6'4" Ram

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a Ram. Can anyone comment that has an Andersen hitch with the 6' box? What kind of clearance are you getting between the cab and tailgate. What's the orientation of the pin adapter?

Thanks
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS
44 REPLIES 44

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That hurt a little!

Not intended...many 50 YOs could not lift that 3600 base out!

Jerry

40 years Construction did some good!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That hurt a little!

Not intended...many 50 YOs could not lift that 3600 base out!

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That hurt a little!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes."

Well let's assume I am the so called "hijacker". I don't need a torque wrench to install mine. I can have mine removed or installed in 5 minutes MAX. Could be faster but I just turned 63.

Just a FYI...the physical condition of installer/remover has a lot more to do with it than AGE, but 63 is gettin up there!:E

Spud, glad you got yours sold, if not needed! There may be more nice late model diesels showing up later. Seems TVs are in high demand in recent months.

Jerry

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we can end this discussion regarding this specific truck. It has been sold.

Mine is also sold so I think I'll be waiting till the spring to replace it. Not going to Florida this winter, so no need for a truck till then.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes."

Well let's assume I am the so called "hijacker". I don't need a torque wrench to install mine. I can have mine removed or installed in 5 minutes MAX. Could be faster but I just turned 63.

richclover wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
When I am not towing the tonneau cover is hiding the hitch, although if they want it ,they will get it, but with a locked tailgate they will have to cut the tonneau cover out of the way or break open the tailgate. It won't be easy.

As far as the adapter, I suppose someone will steal anything , but I can't imagine those adapter being in high demand. Taking the time ,and having the allen wrench ,and wrenches to remove just doesn't sound likely. I think that lock is mostly to prevent the theft of the fifth wheel, and here again I like my odds they don't have an Andersen hitch .

Agreed again, however, having had a theft or two, I feel better knowing the "house" and related "stuff" will be there when I get back. Perceived security is worth it. To me.

As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes. I can. Tools/equipment required is, as you know, a torque wrench. One of the reasons I bought an AUH. I've got a short bed with tool box and I can use it easily.

I have the same hitch but the 20k version.... 153# ... 2 slip pins to remove the head at 75#... 4 slip pins to un hook the lower portion 78#... possibly 10-15 minutes total IF I have a beer in between removing the top and bottom portions
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
When I am not towing the tonneau cover is hiding the hitch, although if they want it ,they will get it, but with a locked tailgate they will have to cut the tonneau cover out of the way or break open the tailgate. It won't be easy.

As far as the adapter, I suppose someone will steal anything , but I can't imagine those adapter being in high demand. Taking the time ,and having the allen wrench ,and wrenches to remove just doesn't sound likely. I think that lock is mostly to prevent the theft of the fifth wheel, and here again I like my odds they don't have an Andersen hitch .

Agreed again, however, having had a theft or two, I feel better knowing the "house" and related "stuff" will be there when I get back. Perceived security is worth it. To me.

As for the "hijacker" I'll bet he can't get that big heavy hitch out of his truck bed and re-installed in 15 minutes. I can. Tools/equipment required is, as you know, a torque wrench. One of the reasons I bought an AUH. I've got a short bed with tool box and I can use it easily.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Good points.
Where the hitch was located in the bed ...
how the back of the pin box was shaped...
length of the pin box...
pin box location
...are all unknowns.

Apparently most Andersen users as you don't have these issue.

Its usually just the ones that are not paying attention ,and takes out a back window or dent their cab are the ones with the issue of their own doing.

This Andersen does give you more clearance than a conventional hitch or a manual slider. Of course a manual slider does, when used ,but how many times have we read where they took out their window or dented the cab because they didn't use the slider. Its not the hitch at fault here .

The hijacker did take longer then usual . :R

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Durb wrote:
OP, back on topic. I talked with a man at a campground a couple of years ago with a new, high end, Ram and a new Montana High Country trailer. He wasn't too happy, his cab was dented and his rear window was gone and taped over with plastic. His Andersen hitch in the rear position was allowing his pin box to bite chunks out of his tailgate so he reversed the adapter. He happily towed for many miles until he lost focus on a tight back up combined with a driveway dip. The Montana does indeed have rounded corners but the trailer slopes forward from the overhang. When he went into the driveway dip the trailer leaned forward and took out his window. His dented cab was near the roof. You may want to keep this in mind.

Look at the Blue Ox Super Ride instead. It will hinge rearward when you need it.

I agree, if you blindly back up ,and not pay attention you are going to get into trouble. That was my concern with the pinbox being to close to the tailgate . If I would have had time on that first tow with the new fifth wheel I would of trimmed the corners on the pinbox , instead as said I reversed the adapter. I have no issues with it reversed . The combination of the pinbox placement on the fifth wheel ,and the rounded corners I don't plan on reversing it or doing anything with the pinbox .

I too have a driveway with a dip , and a street that is a bit too narrow to be able to back in gradual . I have to crank it pretty tight ,but still not a problem.

Good points.
Where the hitch was located in the bed ...
how the back of the pin box was shaped...
length of the pin box...
pin box location
...are all unknowns.

Apparently most Andersen users as you don't have these issue.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Long bed truck solves all the worlds problems!!!

For your viewing pleasure. Heck there is even room for a 30" front to back bed height tool box.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
richclover wrote:
โ€œ...With the popularity of the Andersen , that is not a bad idea if someone actually has the Andersen hitch, odds say they won't ,they will steal a fifth wheel with a convention pin box , having a convention fifth wheel hitch to do the stealing with ...โ€

Agreed. The lock does makes it nearly impossible for the adapter to โ€œwalk awayโ€. I also remove the ball from the top of my hitch and lock it in the toolbox when not in use.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
OP, back on topic. I talked with a man at a campground a couple of years ago with a new, high end, Ram and a new Montana High Country trailer. He wasn't too happy, his cab was dented and his rear window was gone and taped over with plastic. His Andersen hitch in the rear position was allowing his pin box to bite chunks out of his tailgate so he reversed the adapter. He happily towed for many miles until he lost focus on a tight back up combined with a driveway dip. The Montana does indeed have rounded corners but the trailer slopes forward from the overhang. When he went into the driveway dip the trailer leaned forward and took out his window. His dented cab was near the roof. You may want to keep this in mind.

Look at the Blue Ox Super Ride instead. It will hinge rearward when you need it.

I agree, if you blindly back up ,and not pay attention you are going to get into trouble. That was my concern with the pinbox being to close to the tailgate . If I would have had time on that first tow with the new fifth wheel I would of trimmed the corners on the pinbox , instead as said I reversed the adapter. I have no issues with it reversed . The combination of the pinbox placement on the fifth wheel ,and the rounded corners I don't plan on reversing it or doing anything with the pinbox .

I too have a driveway with a dip , and a street that is a bit too narrow to be able to back in gradual . I have to crank it pretty tight ,but still not a problem.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer