cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Run with only one propane tank

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
As an exercise in weight control, I am asking if it is a good idea to leave one of my two propane tanks at home when traveling. One tank is more than sufficient for my needs. I am asking if it will harm the changeover regulator or leak propane with one tank absent. Seems like an easy way to shed a few pounds. NO, I am not that close to my ratings, just curious.
18 REPLIES 18

dedmiston
Settle down, TomG2. You asked for opinions and got opinions. You aren't under attack; people are just disagreeing with you. Take a deep breath. It'll be OK.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I asked for the abuse by posing the question but I had no idea how many people would think it such a bad idea to consider. They must all race out and top off both propane tanks before every trip or face the dreaded "out of propane" shame. Otherwise, they only have one point something tanks to survive on. Never heard of float gauges?

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
As an exercise in weight control, I am asking if it is a good idea to leave one of my two propane tanks at home when traveling. One tank is more than sufficient for my needs. I am asking if it will harm the changeover regulator or leak propane with one tank absent. Seems like an easy way to shed a few pounds. NO, I am not that close to my ratings, just curious.

As an exercise no harm. If I don't run the furnace and have shore power I'll use 1 Lb propane average per day traveling for Frig cooling and hot water heating when camped.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I may be the only person on earth who lived after towing a trailer or driving a motorhome with only one propane tank. Golly! Call me a risk taker.

That was not my question anyway. I simply asked what damage could follow if I left one tank at home. A couple of people answered the question. Thanks.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
....... I am asking if it is a good idea to leave one of my two propane tanks at home when traveling. .........

Short answer is NO, Itโ€™s not a good idea.

It doesnโ€™t matter what your needs are today or yesterday. As soon as you leave one tank behind, you WILL need it. Guaranteed. Youโ€™ve thrown down the gauntlet to the propane gods, and they will smite you hard for it.

Thatโ€™s how this stuff always turns out for me anyways. Iโ€™ve learned to not fight against it, but you know what they say: Itโ€™s your.........posterior.

::):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
When the Zombies strike, I want to have at least as many resources as I can haul... Ha, ha... Sure, I let a tank run down until it auto switches, then I switch the lever to the full one and get the empty one filled up. Then put it back in and wait for the other to empty.

I carry full load of fresh water every trip too..

I carry way too much stuff that I never use, but just feel better having it none the less...

I used to carry my Honda 3000 generator, even going to full hookup sites, just in case the 'power went out' on us... Well, I got over that need pretty early on and have never thought about that since..

Anyway, weight is always a concern of course.. Just depends on what you feel you need to do for your setup.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Tom,

Nobody has mentioned the two that I have had experience with....

If you are going to leave the tank fitting bare, you best get a cap for it. Little crawly things love to go t in there and make nests. When the remnants of those nests get into the regulator, there is A: Great Danger and B: Now way to salvage most regulators.

Second and interesting was an acquaintance left one tank home. This left the metal line that was supposed to be supported by the tank connection out dancing in the wind. Said line hardened and cracked. this was dangerous too, but at least the LP showed itself as soon as that tank was opened.

Matt

Thanks. I may or may not try the experiment. I tow thousands of miles a year and have more than adequate tow vehicles, but I also like to learn things. I tend to be a "Less is more" type person. 1,000 pounds of available payload is better than 900 pounds, and so forth.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,

Nobody has mentioned the two that I have had experience with....

If you are going to leave the tank fitting bare, you best get a cap for it. Little crawly things love to go in there and make nests. When the remnants of those nests get into the regulator, there is A: Great Danger and B: Now way to salvage most regulators.

Second and interesting was an acquaintance left one tank home. This left the metal line that was supposed to be supported by the tank connection out dancing in the wind. Said line hardened and cracked. this was dangerous too, but at least the LP showed itself as soon as that tank was opened.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Not sure what difference you think 53# is going to make in towing ability or mileage. Not worth it to me!

I never said it would make a huge difference. I never said it was critical. I asked if it would cause any harm to the regulator or cause leakage to operate with one tank removed.

On the other hand, add another battery, add water, add bicycles, keep adding 50 pounds at a time and some people will be overloaded at some point.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what difference you think 53# is going to make in towing ability or mileage. Not worth it to me!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is going to be a permanent change... I recommend changing the regulator.
I recommend operating as designed. Possibly get two cylinders with less capacity to save weight yet retain the automatic regulator features.

11 pound cylinder

Shop around.

One of my first modifications to my pop-up was to move from the single set up to the dual cylinders and automatic regulator. I would never go back.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I asked if it would leak or harm the regulator, not if it was a terrific idea. I have built in accurate float gauges on my tanks, so running out accidentally is not a factor. I can go 2-3 months on a single tank in warm weather. I am not near being overweight. I see people on here traveling with empty water tanks to save weight, this is another thing that might help them. Thanks for the negative and critical comments.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If it's full and you don't expect to run the furnace...not an issue for a short trip.

We usually swap over when one is empty, pull it and put it in the truck with the second hooked up and in use...with no leaks or other issues.

As mentioned you aren't saving much but it will work fine...in fact a lot of small (uner 20ft) travel trailers only come with a single 20lb tank unless you upgrade.

Thanks.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If it's full and you don't expect to run the furnace...not an issue for a short trip.

We usually swap over when one is empty, pull it and put it in the truck with the second hooked up and in use...with no leaks or other issues.

As mentioned you aren't saving much but it will work fine...in fact a lot of small (uner 20ft) travel trailers only come with a single 20lb tank unless you upgrade.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV