cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watch those glass stove tops.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Was out on the lake fishing when wife called from campsite, she was in a panic.

The fold back glass top shattered sounding like a gun firing, her words, while she was cooking.

I removed top of stove and cleaned all glass and removed all hardware pertaining to glass top.
She said DO NOT REPLACE THE GLASS TOP.

Yes it was folded all the way back she claims.
16 REPLIES 16

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Wiscampsin wrote:
poppa wrote:
whats a dw?

dear wife

Or,,, Dumb Wife,,, But, I'm not married so I can say that safely.

Thanks for the heads up about the cook top covers. I thought they were always made of metal. This thread is a great reminder to watch out for thermal shock.
wont go there caveman!!! but i get the drift!

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
poppa wrote:
Wiscampsin wrote:
poppa wrote:
whats a dw?

dear wife
thanks
wont go there caveman, still married!

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
poppa wrote:
whats a dw?

dear wife
thanks

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wiscampsin wrote:
poppa wrote:
whats a dw?

dear wife

Or,,, Dumb Wife,,, But, I'm not married so I can say that safely.

Thanks for the heads up about the cook top covers. I thought they were always made of metal. This thread is a great reminder to watch out for thermal shock.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
kellem wrote:
Found out later she had large chilli pot on back burner.
I'm certain this directed a lot of heat towards glass top.....big pots up front.

X2!

Thermal shock (extreme fast high temperature changes).

Same thing as sitting a very hot Pyrex glass baking dish from the oven on a room temperature metal stove top.. You can do it, but eventually the Pyrex vessel will fail from thermal shock and when it fails it will be a spectacular event!

My Mom lost a few Pyrex baking dishes that way.

I treat ANY glassware with care concerning very quick temperature change extremes, even Corelle dishes (which are nothing more than dishes made from Pyrex and are amazingly hearty) are not exempt from Thermal shock (DW has broken a few Corelle dishes that way).

I learned that lesson well in freshman college chemistry lab. We were doing an experiment where we had to evaporate a solution into a watch glass. Trying to get every bit of precipitate onto the glass I hit the side of the beaker with the Bunson burner, flame leaped up and hit the watch glass which contained ice to help the precipitation. The watch glass shattered instantly, the ice fell, hit the boiling hot beaker, it shattered, and suddenly there's glass and boiling hot water flying everywhere at about 300mph. Definitely emphasized the point about why you ALWAYS wear your PPE in the chem lab, even when working with the most bland on materials. Thanks to gloves, apron, safety goggles nobody was hurt, but it could have been a different story if the TA wasn't very serious about enforcing safety protocols.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellem wrote:
I'm certain this directed a lot of heat towards glass top.....big pots up front.

X2!

Thermal shock (extreme fast high temperature changes).

Same thing as sitting a very hot Pyrex glass baking dish from the oven on a room temperature metal stove top.. You can do it, but eventually the Pyrex vessel will fail from thermal shock and when it fails it will be a spectacular event!

My Mom lost a few Pyrex baking dishes that way.

I treat ANY glassware with care concerning very quick temperature change extremes, even Corelle dishes (which are nothing more than dishes made from Pyrex and are amazingly hearty) are not exempt from Thermal shock (DW has broken a few Corelle dishes that way).

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
poppa wrote:
whats a dw?

dear wife

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
whats a dw?

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tempered glass is glass with the outside layer in tension.

Imagine a very tight shrink-wrap around the glass.

It's hard to break, but once the outside layer tension is damaged anywhere, the tension causes the whole thing to burst, usually into many small pieces.

Steve

kellem
Explorer
Explorer

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a glass top for my stove in our new-to-us trailer - thanks for the heads-up!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have a friend who works in the residential glass business and yes tempered glass can just release and shatter. It's not a common occurrence, but it does happen.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bedlam
Mine is 3.5 years old now and I have not had a problem with it. It was DW's choice to get it and I would not have paid the extra amount, but it made her happy.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deep scratches can do that to some glass.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide