Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: alaska 2021 ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> alaska 2021 ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With any luck it will be 2027 for me.
Hopefully there will still be some forests and wilderness along the drive by the time I go.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Mom and Pops may be best suited to surviving. Few if any business expenses for those that own the real property. Why the gloom and doom?

"Few if any business expenses for those that own the real property"

......never owned a small business, have you?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

What's the situation with the Alaska Ferry (Marine Highway?). Can one start in Bellingham and have layovers in just Alaska ports and not Prince Rupert before continuing on land from Haines or Skagway? The ferry was a great part of our only trip to Alaska.

From Haines or Skagway you would still have to go by road thru Canada to get to the rest of Alaska unless you ferry to Whittier AK.

* This post was edited 09/15/20 01:37pm by Z-Peller *

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tourism-related businesses have been hit pretty hard up here from all the impacts of the virus, whether border crossing, State mandates, City mandates, Village mandates, lack of revenue etc.

Many places had pre-emptively shut down for the year...including a couple of very well-known flight outfits...but others saw a bit of an uptick for August, although probably not enough and not much of an uptick for businesses dependent on road traffic.

Anecdotally, we've gone to Seward a few times and: a) had no problem getting a hotel room in July and August...usually very difficult; and b) would have had no problem getting a fishing charter except 4 people would have been paying for 6 slots....so we took our own boat instead. Similarly anecdotally, Brand X and Y were shutdown for flightseeing around McKinley and River Charter Co. ABC was shutdown because they couldn't justify paying the seasonal help with the reduced customer demand.

I guesstimate that the critical path to RV travel in Alaska in 2021 will depend on the border status: businesses being open is probably a bit of "who knows" but again my guesstimate would be that some (as opposed to "Most") of the tourism-based venues and activities will be available.

Regarding the AMHS, there is the cross-gulf ferry option that gets one from Southeast into "Southcentral" (Valdez, whittier, etc) but it's a real likelihood that that will be on a very reduced schedule in 2021.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been saying for 3 years "I'm going next year". Now I'm making it 4 years.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been saying for 3 years "I'm going next year". Now I'm making it 4 years.

This is where Nike's advice comes into play-Just Do It!!!!!

Long story short when my son was very little he wanted to go to Disney. We told him he had to be 5. Figuring he'd forget I didn't worry. On his 5th birthday he said "mommy I'm 5, you promised we'd go to Disney". I mumbled some sorry excuse like I'd do it tomorrow, he got up, picked up the phone and handed it to me and said "do it now or you will never do it". He was correct. So the following October we went. There's no time like the present. The future is too uncertain.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We plan on going in 2021 if all is well, this would make our third trip up to Alaska. we'll be entering through Nagara Falls this time and traveling west towards Alaska. For those who never have been to Alaska allow lot of time to travel it's a long drive.

Edited for typo

* This post was last edited 10/18/20 02:09am by c.traveler2 *   View edit history

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't you be heading westward to get to Alaska from Niagara Falls, or am I messed up on my directions?

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

We plan on going in 2021 if all is well, this would make our third trip up to Alaska. we'll be entering through Nagara Falls this and traveling east towards Alaska. For those who never have been to Alaska allow lot of time to travel it's a long drive.

I'll bet it was a really long drive to Alaska going east from Niagara Falls. You might want to stop and ask directions before you get to Nova Scotia.

Camped in every state

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

c.traveler2 wrote:

We plan on going in 2021 if all is well, this would make our third trip up to Alaska. we'll be entering through Nagara Falls this and traveling east towards Alaska. For those who never have been to Alaska allow lot of time to travel it's a long drive.

I'll bet it was a really long drive to Alaska going east from Niagara Falls. You might want to stop and ask directions before you get to Nova Scotia.

If Columbus would have stopped and asked directions, he never would have discovered America.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> alaska 2021 ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.