cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need hitch advice please.

Kelpike
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2003 25' Coachman TT. I just bought a WDH for it due to quite a bit of sway. The drop I needed before the WDH was about 6 1/2". With the WDH I could probably get away with a 4. The 6 1/2" drop just doesn't look safe to me with the WDH. Any thoughts on what I have now and what you guys use would be appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you donโ€™t want to use your home made adapter, donโ€™t have enough drop with the adjustable height hitch head plugged in direct to receiver and canโ€™t get the trailer level enough with the drop shank you have, then yes you need a longer drop shank.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kelpike
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Im not understanding this whole thing. You can take the extention bar thing off and put the wdh on normally. Or if the wdh can be put in upside down( mine can) then unbolt it and move it up to get less drop. What am i missing here?

I have the right height with the adapter. I don't get enough drop without the adapter no matter which way I put my wdh. I need to eliminate the adapter which means I have to buy a longer drop shank. I'm not sure if all drop shanks are universal in the spacing of the holes. Mine now are 1 1/4" apart.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
In your photos of your setup, you have THREE components pictured.
1. The shank - that portion that inserts into the trucks receiver. In your case you have a double shank, possibly homemade. TorkLift also makes one very similar. You need one as shown by Mitch150.

2. Another shank - the portion that the hitch head bolts onto. This is the only shank part you need, only you need to get one with the proper drop to level your trailer.

3. The hitch head - the part that bolts onto the shank with two large bolts (usually torqued to around 260ft/lbs or so) and which the ball mounts onto.

What this whole thing amounts to is that you need to purchase a new shank with the proper drop to level your trailer, mount your hitch head on it in the proper position to level your trailer, install the ball and then attach the trailer and go camping! ๐Ÿ™‚

Unless you have need for a multiple shank mount to carry a bike or other item while towing your trailer, I would sell or otherwise dispose of that shank you have now.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dump that extension. Use ONLY the WD hitch section. Sway is going to happen. It's a matter of minimizing it.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Im not understanding this whole thing. You can take the extention bar thing off and put the wdh on normally. Or if the wdh can be put in upside down( mine can) then unbolt it and move it up to get less drop. What am i missing here?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
get rid of the adapter, extension.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You need one like Mitch150 posted. They make them in various drops. You should be able to find 6,8 and 10" drops.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Kelpike
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
Looking at the photo, is the adapter upside down? Isnโ€™t the reinforced adapter the tow receptacle and the one you are plugged in an accessory receptacle for things like a bike rack?

Yes, it is upside down. I had it reinforced so I could use it as a drop with my old hitch. I do not want to use it with the weight distribution system.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the photo, is the adapter upside down? Isnโ€™t the reinforced adapter the tow receptacle and the one you are plugged in an accessory receptacle for things like a bike rack?
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Kelpike
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is made by Valley Industries. Are the drop hole spacing universal throughout different brands? Mine are 1 1/4" apart.

Kelpike
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
The adapter, all adapters, have to go. I highly doubt they are designed for use with a WDH. You should be able to adjust the WDH head to get things level with no adapter. If not, you need a different hitch head.

I still need 3 more inches of drop even if I lose the adapter and flip the WDH over.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The adapter, all adapters, have to go. I highly doubt they are designed for use with a WDH. You should be able to adjust the WDH head to get things level with no adapter. If not, you need a different hitch head.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd ditch that adapter thing... Then do what was suggested above with setting your hitch head like this and go from there..

But, in the end, it's whatever works for ya!

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kelpike
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
You talked about sway then about your weight distribution; two different things. Get the trailer level and you want weight distributed to the front. Use sway control bars to control sway. You should have someone knowledgeable help you because if you get sway and thereโ€™s not enough weight to the front of your truck youโ€™ll have problems. Youโ€™ll also need to know how to control the sway from your brake controller without losing control. Get someone from your local dealer to show you how to set everything up properly.

I feel pretty confident in setting everything up. I bought the weight distribution hitch to help with the sway. I wasn't getting crazy amounts of sway when I towed it, just occasionally and when trailer trucks would pass me.