cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clusters of dog diabetes in households-Dr. Doug et al

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
While I was waiting for Jake to come out of the vet today (all curbside still due to COVID) I happened to talk to the clinic's owner/main vet. He said that he is starting to notice clusters of dogs in households having diabetes, saying right now he has 5 households with the issue. Breeds and age are not always the same. He's puzzled if it's something that might be just around our area or if any other areas have seen this type of thing. Thoughts turn to food and water but not all eat the same food or live in the same town. Anyone else heard of anything like this?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
5 REPLIES 5

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Most commercial foods have a lot of processed grains in them (corn, wheat, rice). These are all starchy foods made up of lots of glucose molecules. This causes constant elevated sugar (and eventually, diabetes). Most people don't understand that a natural diet is the best. Limit carb intake but DO NOT ELIMINATE carbs. A little carbs is needed. For a person, I would say, limit potatoes, rice, corn, and bread. Eat lots of fresh green vegetables and meats.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe those households are over-feeding their pets, and the pets are overweight.

Vet indicated this is not the case.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
Being retired I'm not privy to the day to day changes, but I'll check around here. The veterinary message boards I have access to don't show any inquiries.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know for sure. I read somewhere once that there might be a virus that contributes to diabetes. Don't know what the latest on that theory is though.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe those households are over-feeding their pets, and the pets are overweight.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board