cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT tire pressure - sticker or tire PSI?

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
After sitting in driveway for a year, one D rated tire blew. The replacement was E rated; however, the installer said to inflate the tire to the 80 psi on the sidewall of the new E, not the sticker which is 65 psi. So now I am confused.
22 REPLIES 22

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Timeking wrote:
Good Sam guy installed an E.

Which tire shop was the tech from? (he only has a referral from Good Sam)

Like others have said, it's probably time to replace all tires.

I use Goodyear Endurance on my cargo trailers
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread is going to win the โ€œmisinformationโ€ of the month thread!
Jimlin is the only guy whoโ€™s posted common sense and at that, what heโ€™s purporting will happen โ€œmayโ€ only happen in a panic stop IF the brake gain can even lock them up and not likely at only 15 psi different. If anything the higher pressure tire will be exerting more ground pressure if torsion axles and if leafs it will make zero difference.
Agree, If tire popped due to unknown cause and not a road hazard then itโ€™s time to replace all of them.
But same size D and E will have no problem co existing on the same trailer and presuming 65 psi is enough air, running to 80 while other tires are at 65 is also a useless move.
Generally itโ€™s good to run trailer tires with higher pressure les heat less rolling resistance , but the plethora of BS in this thread is laughable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timeking wrote:

Also, to complain, the mobile tire guy charged me $139 mounting fee on top of the tire cost, with Good Sam roadside insurance paying the "rest".

139 dollar mounting fee is robbery around here.

I have a question . Did the tire actually "Blow" like boom ! Or did it just go flat ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Timeking wrote:
After sitting in driveway for a year, one D rated tire blew. The replacement was E rated; however, the installer said to inflate the tire to the 80 psi on the sidewall of the new E, not the sticker which is 65 psi. So now I am confused.

On a trailer, go with the sidewall rating. Low air pressure causes excess sidewall flexing which causes heat which will cause a tire failure.

In your case, the additional 15 psi is not likely to cause any wheel issues. If it was an addition >30 psi, I might be concerned about the strength of the wheel itself.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timeking wrote:
OK so I'm either going to do what vahalla suggests (E to spare and get a D, less $$) or go all E like time2roll suggests (put a good D on the spare, more $$$).

Seems a shame to get rid of tires with no wear on them, maybe 10,000 total miles, but then I'm gonna have to get rid of them in 2 years anyway. Have to call my tire dealer and see what is what. Thanks for the input.

So I think I'll have a beer.

Get rid of them. Or your going to spend more time on the side of the road. And I say that from experiance. Tires ROT sitting still. Tires lubricate themselves when the flex while rolling. No rolling no lube. so they dry out. Does NOT matter how many miles they have on them, as you already found out. Again before you get high PSI tires. Be sure your rims can take it.

I would get them off before your next trip. Or keep an eye out for a place to pull over. Especially if you had to go very far on the single tire after one blew. It more than likely damaged it further. And I can't stress this enough. Get good tires. Either Maxxis or Endurance.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy new D (65 psi) tires and keep the E as a spare I would run the E at 65 psi if its ever put on the ground.
Its not a good idea to use a 65 psi tire on one end of a axle and a 80 psi tire on the other end. This will lead to flat spotting as the 80 psi tire won't have the same braking traction especially hard braking events. The harder tire has less traction causing that brake to lock up first causing flat spots in the tread about the size of your hand.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to need new tires very soon so go ahead and get new ones NOW. Enjoy the peace of mind while traveling. Keep the best looking one of the old ones for a spare. Spare racks that attached to rear bumper are cheap.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Timeking wrote:
OK so I'm either going to do what vahalla suggests (E to spare and get a D, less $$) or go all E like time2roll suggests (put a good D on the spare, more $$$).

Seems a shame to get rid of tires with no wear on them, maybe 10,000 total miles, but then I'm gonna have to get rid of them in 2 years anyway. Have to call my tire dealer and see what is what. Thanks for the input.

At 3 years, they should be fine for at least a couple more years...even if they were sitting (long gone are the days when they rubber would develop a permanent flat spot).

Trailer tires rarely wear out from miles. It's usually years that tell you when it's time to replace and it's usually around 5-7yrs you can expect to get out of them.

One other possibility, any chance the trailer was over weight? You could always swing by a CAT scale and see what you really have. That would also be useful in selecting which load range you want.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
We don't have the trailer weight info, to determine the best choice for tires. The original spare was a C, tires now 3 D-rated, and now 1 E-rated.

If it came with Ds inflate them at 65 cold, before travel. Unless you want to replace three tires, and use all E-rated, which will give you more load capacity at 80 psi. You could just buy one new D tire, and use the E as the spare. IMO, running 3 Ds and 1 E, is not the best choice, even though the E with lowerd psi to 65 is about the same as D at 65. For best towing, all tires should match, tread design, size, wt rating, and number of plys.

Jerry

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
Or you let me calculate a safe pressure for you.
Not knowing your data, I estimate the 65 psi was to low to laws of nature, but the E-load can do with about 75 psi.

That your old D blew on the driveway, can be because one time they overheated, by to low pressure for the load and speed used.
Then beginning crackes are made, wich tear further in time, by the forces on them. Then mayby only after 3 years that far that they blow, and in your case even on the driveway standing still.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Rotate it out to the spare. Get 1 tire, 3 years should be fine, just check the pressure on them before heading out on a trip.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We lets think about your rims as well? Steel, or aluminum? What is the tire pressure they are rated for. As you mentioned the original spare was a C with a max PSI of 50LB. Can your rims handle 80 PSI? I would just get 4 new Ds and be done with it, and they would be good Ds as well. Either MAXXIS, or Endurance.. not cheap china tires. and sir them to the sidewall max
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Timeking wrote:
Didn't blow out on driveway, but after 30 mile trip.

Tire date is 0817, so 3 years old, which makes sense since this is a 2018 TT.

The sticker says D tire. Good Sam guy installed an E. I figured E was better than D, but at this point I didn't have any choice: he was here, he had a tire that fit, I had no spare. Dumb me.

The spare that came with the trailer was an old C rated tire, which I intended to replace the day I found out, but due to covid insanity, family insanity, and my own insanity, forgot to take care of it.

I'm thinking I should put all my D tires to 65 per sticker and on tire sidewall, like I have done for the previous 7000 miles. And pump the E tire up to 70 and hope for the best.

Put the E on the spare tire rim and get a new D if the others are only 3yrs old and appear to be in good condition otherwise...but keep a close eye on the others and plan in about 2-4yrs replacing the other 3 regardless of miles.

When you did the 30mile trip, did you check the pressure before departure? Was there any sign of a nail or other road damage causing the failure?

3 years is the life of a trailer tire that sits alot. I have blown 3 trailer tires perfectly aired up. All 3 were at the beginning of their 3rd year. I will never again run a triler tire into it's 5th year.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers