cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stairs not working

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the 3 years I have had this motorhome, I have had problems with the stairs 4 times now. I have had the motor replaced, the controller replaced, some type of gear replaced, etc. Now they are messed up again. I have included a picture. We took a trip last weekend and when I got to the RV park, the stairs extended but wouldn't retract all the way. Once they get stuck like this, most of the time the stairs won't come out again but about every 10th opening of the door, they will extend. But when they retract, they only retract part way. The stairs are lubricated and I can push them up easy to the fully retracted position.

I am about to give up on them and disconnect them preeminently and just use a step that we recently purchase but I'd like to fix them one more time. Any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting?

2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
19 REPLIES 19

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
I work on Hundreds of Kwikee steps every year and have for 40 years. Since they changed the controller about 20 years ago to a new style, I have NOT replaced a controller in all that time. New style Controllers are replaced either due to incompetance when attempting to fix(they burn it out by connecting or hot wiring wires) or they just want to sell a part. Motors? all the time. 2 sets in 3 years? IMPOSSIBLE. Doug

The local RV service center I took the motorhome to was surprised that I had the stairs worked on so many times. The first time the controller/motor was replaced was by a mobile repair tech. The stairs had also been worked on by camping world 3 times (they never replaced any parts though). The place that fixed it this time I trust. They are a local family owned business and I have taken my motorhome there several times now and their work is very good and they charge a fair price. Who knows, maybe the mobile tech messed something up when he worked on them last time. I think he said the controller was bad and when he replaced it, the stairs still didn't work so he replaced the motor and that fixed it. It was covered under warranty (except the labor since I had a mobile tech do the work) so I didn't think much of it at the time. I am just hoping they stay fixed this time.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I work on Hundreds of Kwikee steps every year and have for 40 years. Since they changed the controller about 20 years ago to a new style, I have NOT replaced a controller in all that time. New style Controllers are replaced either due to incompetance when attempting to fix(they burn it out by connecting or hot wiring wires) or they just want to sell a part. Motors? all the time. 2 sets in 3 years? IMPOSSIBLE. Doug

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP here. Thought I would update on my stair fix. I finally was able to get the motorhome to a local dealer and they said both the motor and controller were bad. They tried just replacing the motor but no luck. They purchased a "kit" which cost $450. The stairs are working again. They are actually working very well now, very smooth. The stairs had always been a little jerky-jerky before and now they come out and go in very smooth. Hopefully they will stay working now! This is the second motor and controller replacement since I purchased the motorhome new in 2017.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
From looking at your picture, the steps are not centered in the opining, indicating that they have been bent to the rear.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF for any reason the step assembly is bent it can bind and do that
Mine are like that. The problem is such that I have a manual "Door switch" that I flip and assist the steps in closing with my toe.. They come out ok But it's one giant step to get in and out when they are retracted.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
Wow, that seems like a super excessive amount of trouble with the steps. Is there road dirt or water getting thrown up on the motor or something?

No. The motorhome is stored in an enclosed garage. I don't think we have ever even driven on a dirt road. I live in Florida and we do get a lot of rain but the motorhome is kept clean and the stairs are lubricated and move freely when I manually move them.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that seems like a super excessive amount of trouble with the steps. Is there road dirt or water getting thrown up on the motor or something?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to the storage garage this weekend to see if I can get them going again. The motorhome is only 3 years old (2018) and this is the 4th or 5th time I have had issues with these steps. I'm about ready to just use some heavy duty zip ties and tie up the stairs and be done with them. I have a double collapsible stair that I keep stored inside the compartment right outside the door so those might become my new stairs!

Burch

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Coach Cleats wrote:
Did u check the magnets on the screen door and/or front door. Sometimes they are located on the door frame. If they broke or fell off that could be the problem.

A quick way to determine this is to open and close the door with the engine running. IF the round amber under step light goes ON and OFF when opening and closing the door, the Magnet system is GOOD. Doug

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coach Cleats wrote:
Did u check the magnets on the screen door and/or front door. Sometimes they are located on the door frame. If they broke or fell off that could be the problem.

That's typical for the case where the steps won't retract when the door is closed. But if the steps won't extend when the door is opened it's most likely some other issue since the open door will break the "closed door" circuit informing the controller to extend the steps.

A friend had this "steps won't extend" issue on his Class A. We discovered that if I banged on the motor a bit with a rock, they'd work. Most likely cause was a flat spot on the motor armature which he then replaced fixing the problem. The motor used by Kwikee is a Ford electric window motor as I recall.

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest issue is and has been lack of grease! Silicone spray is just not enough for these things!
If your rig is older than 1999 almost everyone in the business will tell you that there are no parts!
If this happens to you try E Trailer ! They are easy to deal with and likely have the correct parts in stock!
Grease them well !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
We had Kwikee steps on our 97 Coachmen. They are notorious for being unreliable when their moving parts are not lubed. Try CRC with PFTE on the moving parts, and see whether that cures it. The next issue, mentioned above, is that the controller needs a REALLY good ground. Third, the gearbox can get water in it and the input quill will begin to grind down. Ours was ground to a nub when I finally replaced it. The integrated motor-gearbox is not hard to replace.
HTH
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Step control module was not needed to be replaced. They RARELY fail.
2. Motors do fail, even new ones
3. "gear" ? sounds like you used a Service Shop and they had no idea what they were doing. SEE item 1
4. Take the cotter pin out of the trans linkage and the drive pin out. With the steps released, you should be able to retract and it will drop down and extend with minimum effort. If it does NOT, then the arm linkages are NOT correctly lubed and need lube. If this is OK you need a new motor. Doug