Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 5.3 vs 6.2
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 5.3 vs 6.2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

OP, I'll throw a curve ball at you. Skip the 6.2 in the half ton and get a 6.0 in a 3/4 ton. You'll leave a couple HP on the table, but get a SOLID engine/transmission combo that is better for towing than the half ton.

I did that exact thing years ago and never have looked back. I still have my 09 HD 6.0 and with 98k on it so it’s got along way till I sell it. In my opinion, the GM 6.0 with 6 speed combo is one of the best ever made.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same thing in '03 when I had a ....never mind that won't help the OP looking for more towing performance pulling a 25' TT. He doesn't need more load carrying capacity from a 3/4 ton truck for that size trailer.

OP your '09 5.3 1500 is down on towing power compared to the later model 1500 5.3 engines and especially the 6.2 engine.

Drive both if your looking at new trucks. Also the NHT option is GM max tow option. Gives the truck a bit more GVWR/RAWR and the lower gear ratio for towing duties. Actual final drive ratio depends on year models if your looking at used trucks.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

poppa

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

OP, I'll throw a curve ball at you. Skip the 6.2 in the half ton and get a 6.0 in a 3/4 ton. You'll leave a couple HP on the table, but get a SOLID engine/transmission combo that is better for towing than the half ton.

I did that exact thing years ago and never have looked back. I still have my 09 HD 6.0 and with 98k on it so it’s got along way till I sell it. In my opinion, the GM 6.0 with 6 speed combo is one of the best ever made.
the 3/4 ton suspension is much better for towing than the 1/2 ton, dosent matter on the engine size. i have the 6 ltr in a 3/4 ton crew with 4.10 gear and it tows good. likes the gas though

d1h

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appears from some of the posts that a later model six or eight speed transmission with the 5.3 does a better job of towing than an older model with a four speed. Mine is 2009 with the four speed. If a late model 5.3 will pull just as well as the 6.2 I could save a little money since you can only get the 6.2 on the more pricy LTZ and High Country.

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d1h wrote:

Appears from some of the posts that a later model six or eight speed transmission with the 5.3 does a better job of towing than an older model with a four speed. Mine is 2009 with the four speed. If a late model 5.3 will pull just as well as the 6.2 I could save a little money since you can only get the 6.2 on the more pricy LTZ and High Country.

The 5.3 will not pull as well as the 6.2 and you can now get the 6.2 on the lower level vehicles. But my 5.3 8 speed is pretty nice with 6,000 lbs.

2019 Chevy RST Silverado 1500
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2002 Sandpiper T22
04 FXDL Harley

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, sounds like you’re largely confused still.
Simplify it for yourself.
Write down 4 numbers for your rig and the ones you’re thinking about.
HP
TQ
# of trans gears
Rear axle ratio

The best overall combo of those numbers will tow the best.

And if you’d actually do some searching here or research to be more well read rather than seeming to want rvnet to spoon feed you what you want to hear, it would help your understanding consider ably as well.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 5.3 vs 6.2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.