cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPMS

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
So we are new owners of an Grand design Imagine XLS 21BHE. I would like to get a TPMS, but want a small footprint in the cab. I am thinking of the TireMinder Trailer TPMS (https://www.tireminder.com/products/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems/tireminder-trailer-tpms), but it lists the PSI range up to 70 PSI. My tires are 65 PSI...Is this too close to the upper limit?

I was also thinking of the TireMinder Smart TPMS (https://www.tireminder.com/products/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems/tireminder-smart-tpms). The PSI range is much better (up to 232PSI), but I like the dedicated display of the Trailer one.

There is also the topic of cost (Trailer - $146 and Smart - $356)

Thoughts?

Thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
TST 507 and I didn't need the booster. BTW - there are several active Grand Design and Grand Design Imagine FB pages.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
You sure have a good one. I really value mine.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Tire Minder. 65 lb tires. Works great. Very Helpful. Small display I put on upper left of windshield. Solar (no batteries) display is nice.

Oh and for what its worth, I got a TPS because we had a trailer flat that turned into full rubber loss and riding on the rim for a while.

We had no idea the tire lost air, disintegrated, completely fell off, and killed the wheel.

A trucker drove along side us at 60mph and let us know.
$300 rim and tire later - I got the Tire Minder.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TireMinder solar powered TPMS and it saved me twice on our recent 2400 mile camping trip. The failures were due to the metal/rubber high pressure stems. They developed leaks at different times on different tires. I suspect that the stems failed due to the pressure from the weight of the sensors. I finally got Discount Tire to replace these stems with full metal bolt on stems with a rubber seal inside the tire. I think this will be the answer.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the TST 507 system with color monitor. I just had a problem with the monitor going blank and not able to turn on. Long story short- do not leave the color monitor plugged in to power all the time. Just charge it as needed and it will last 5-7 days on a charge. Leaving it plugged in is detrimental to the batteries. Mine is on the way back from TST after being repaired. The manual states, "Do not keep a fully charged display plugged in constantly." but I missed that.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also went with TST 507 unit and it works perfectly...........once I called Support and got them to set it up for me. The guy was super helpful and did guided me thru the whole thing. I installed the booster under the pass thru as there was handy 12v right there. I didn't get the color screen for some reason.......oh well. Tucked the monitor over in the left hand corner of the wind shield. Very nice product. I may upgrade to the internal sensors when I get new tires...........
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Coolerman wrote:
Just bought and installed the TST-507 system on our Sonic for our trip out to Colorado.
A test trip showed it would read three tires no problem without the repeater, but to get that right rear passenger side tire, I had to install the repeater. The monitor is rechargeable through USB, small, and bright. Really easy to read. Oh, it's also LOUD! As a test I let about 10 PSI out of a tire and started driving around the parking lot where I was doing brake testing/setup. I turned on the monitor and as soon as it synched up, it started flashing the low tire and beeping loudly. Stopped, aired the tire backup with my Co2 tank, and it read the new pressure and all was fine. This is going to take some of the stress off me while towing these long runs.

Yes it’s a very good system. I’ve had it all this year. It has worked flawlessly. And yes that repeater is necessary. Even with the rear duals in the MH.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought and installed the TST-507 system on our Sonic for our trip out to Colorado.
A test trip showed it would read three tires no problem without the repeater, but to get that right rear passenger side tire, I had to install the repeater. The monitor is rechargeable through USB, small, and bright. Really easy to read. Oh, it's also LOUD! As a test I let about 10 PSI out of a tire and started driving around the parking lot where I was doing brake testing/setup. I turned on the monitor and as soon as it synched up, it started flashing the low tire and beeping loudly. Stopped, aired the tire backup with my Co2 tank, and it read the new pressure and all was fine. This is going to take some of the stress off me while towing these long runs.
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've ran D tires on smaller equipment/cargo trailer carrying close to max axle loads and on hot 100+ temp days psi went to the 72-75 ranges. Sound like you need a real TPM system for full size trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
AAAH! Comparing apples to oranges. :S

The Smart TPMS (Clicky) that you are referring to is a cell phone enabled deluxe version of the standard RV TPMS - TireMinder Model TM-77 (Clicky). Twenty-two tires, up to 232 psi., with repeater for standard long trailers (>30 ft.)

The Trailer TPMS (Clicky) that you are referring to is the new SOLAR POWERED TPMS designed for smaller (pop-up/utility/mini) trailers less than 25 ft long, not more than 4 tires, and not more than 70 psi. per tire. (TPMS warranty is void if the tires exceed 71 psi).

Sorry, I assumed that you were comparing the Smart unit with the standard RV trailer unit TM-77. I use and recommend the TM-77.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had the Trailer version for about 3 years now and it has worked well with both 50psi and 65psi tires. It does have a limit of 70 psi, but I’ve never had a problem with that.
It does read about 3 to 4 psi lower than my air pressure gauges do.
My son has 65 psi tires and the same system. No problems, either.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

archbarb
Explorer
Explorer
TAT system here also.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
Perhaps the OP should go back to the TireMinder website and review both product descriptions. BOTH versions ( Trailer and Smart) monitor tire pressure up to 232 psi. for 22 tires.

I did review the TireMinder website and the first line of the Trailer TPMS states:

"The new TireMinder Trailer TPMS is TireMinder's newest Tire Pressure Monitoring System, designed specifically for dual or single axle trailers running 70 PSI or less." (my bold added)

For some reason the link is not working in my original post, but it is this system...

https://www.tireminder.com/products/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems/tireminder-trailer-tpms

Here is the correct link for Smart system (which does go to 232PSI as I stated):

https://www.tireminder.com/products/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems/tireminder-smart-tpms

Thank you.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps the OP should go back to the TireMinder website and review both product descriptions. BOTH versions ( Trailer and Smart) monitor tire pressure up to 232 psi. for 22 tires.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40