Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: butyly tape for solar panel install question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> butyly tape for solar panel install question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm about to install two 200 watt solar panels on my AF1150. The Northwood rep I spoke with said to make sure I use "butyl tape". I had already intended to completely cover the screws holding the panels down, but he made it sound like I should be doing something else and recommended the butyl tape. I was wondering if maybe I should use the tape between the solar panel leg and the roof of the coach, maybe to help seal around the screw. Sort of driving the screw through the patch of tape, then also covering it with some self leveling sealant. Any experience/advice?

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine have butyl tape under the "feet", screws through all that, and self-leveling dicor over everything.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Eternabond Doublestick between the feet and roof surface, then Dicor over the foot, screw, etc. I contacted Rex Willet, owner of Northstar campers (my camper), and he said they use Eternabond Doublestick on their solar installs. And I removed Eternabond from a previous camper when doing a total recaulk. Wow, does that stuff stick!!

Scott

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops, mine is probably NOT butyl tape, but Eternabond also. Bill from TCW in NH installed mine.

Fishbreath

home

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used 3m VHB tape between my panel legs and the roof. No screws.
5 years and still holding.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

I used Eternabond Doublestick between the feet and roof surface, then Dicor over the foot, screw, etc. I contacted Rex Willet, owner of Northstar campers (my camper), and he said they use Eternabond Doublestick on their solar installs. And I removed Eternabond from a previous camper when doing a total recaulk. Wow, does that stuff stick!!

Scott

Ha ha ha!!! Yep. Definitely get it right the first time cause a do-over is a super PITA!!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to RV's, just like you'll never complain about too much truck, you won't complain about having double the water proofing.
Belt and braces.
Hell, go double stick Eternabond, then regular Eternabond over top, then Dicor as the icing on the cake.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fishbreath wrote:

I used 3m VHB tape between my panel legs and the roof. No screws.
5 years and still holding.

Nice!
Just outta curiosity:
What's your roof made of?
What type of enviro exposure is your camper seeing when out?
How's it stored? Open/tarp/shed roof/full enclosed garage?

I haven't seen the double sided Eternabond. Have you ever seen it? And if so, is it different then the 3M VHB?
If it or the E-Bond tape holds up that well, certainly worth it if it avoids putting anymore holes then necessary in a roof.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

Scott

If you have butyl tape use that under the feet and then a liberal dose of self leveling Dicor over the feet and screws. The Eternabond Doublestick would be great under the feet but not necessary.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small amount of butyl tape is wrapped around the screw. If you are using sheet metal screws, the tape is applied UNDER the foot of the item being fastened. If the item is through bolted (i.e. nut on the opposite side) AND the screw head is counter sunk into the foot of the item the tape is place between the screw head and the foot.

Most sailors prefer butyl tape over ANY type of caulk, because they know that they will all fail because EVERYTHING flexes ! With butyl, you simply undo the fastener, remove the butyl, clean, re-apply the butyl and reinsert the fastener.

Butyl tape or even excess butyl last FOREVER if kept tightly sealed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> butyly tape for solar panel install question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.