cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sangria Gelatin Ring

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Sister had a themed dinner, where we'd bring a dish that was popular in our birth years. For 1952, I found this one, and it's magnificent. The original recipe used lemon Jell-O, but I couldn't find any, much less sugar-free, so I used lime and it was very Christmasy looking. It's a keeper, and we'll be serving it often.

SANGRIA GELATIN RING

1-1/2 cups Sangria or sweet white wine
2 packages (.3 ounces each) lime, raspberry or cherry (or mixed flavors) sugar-free gelatin
2 cups club soda, chilled
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 cup green grapes, halved

Bring wine to a full boil.

In a large heatproof bowl, add boiling wine to gelatin; stir 2 minutes to completely dissolve. Stir in chilled club soda.

Refrigerate until thickened but not firm, about 45 minutes. Stir in berries and grapes.

Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.

Unmold onto a serving platter. If desired, place more berries in the center of the ring.

Makes 10 servings.

NUTRITION per serving:
117 Calories
16 total carbs
2 g fiber
6 g sugar (from the fruit)
1 g protein
52 g sodium
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
6 REPLIES 6

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I agree. These gelatin dishes are light and refreshing, and if using the sugar-free flavors, are much, much safer for diabetics.

I also like to make savory gelatin dishes, using plain gelatin. A nice salmon "mousse" is on this week's list of things to try, as soon as I can find Mom's old recipe.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanderlost wrote:
How did it go, magnus?

Everyone loved theirs. I'm hearing a lot about Jello salads again so it must be making a comeback. From the numbers it really is better for dessert than some of the high sugar and high calorie stuff. Guess people are figuring that out.

Looks like Jello is here to stay at our house. It was easier than some of the desserts I've made in the past. It's good for following up a rich dinner.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
How did it go, magnus?

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
WL, I made your gelatin salad and a grape jello salad for the kids. Family’s coming over for Sunday lunch tomorrow. Looking forward to their reactions. Here’s the grape jello recipe.
3 INGREDIENT GRAPE JELLO SALAD
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanderlost wrote:
Sister had a themed dinner, where we'd bring a dish that was popular in our birth years. For 1952, I found this one, and it's magnificent. The original recipe used lemon Jell-O, but I couldn't find any, much less sugar-free, so I used lime and it was very Christmasy looking. It's a keeper, and we'll be serving it often.

SANGRIA GELATIN RING

1-1/2 cups Sangria or sweet white wine
2 packages (.3 ounces each) lime, raspberry or cherry (or mixed flavors) sugar-free gelatin
2 cups club soda, chilled
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 cup green grapes, halved

Bring wine to a full boil.

In a large heatproof bowl, add boiling wine to gelatin; stir 2 minutes to completely dissolve. Stir in chilled club soda.

Refrigerate until thickened but not firm, about 45 minutes. Stir in berries and grapes.

Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.

Unmold onto a serving platter. If desired, place more berries in the center of the ring.

Makes 10 servings.

NUTRITION per serving:
117 Calories
16 total carbs
2 g fiber
6 g sugar (from the fruit)
1 g protein
52 g sodium

This looks great. I'm going to try this one. I'm guessing the alcohol is evaporated off from boiling so it can congeal well.

Magnus

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Dang that looks good I’ll have to try that.