Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What a way to start a trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What a way to start a trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Seminoe Joe

Texas, Wyoming, or somewhere in between

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m trying posting this again since the first time it didn’t seem to work. Long story short I took off yesterday from my trip to Wyoming on my first trip in 3 1/2 years. Yesterday was quiet and this morning I needed gas so I went against my own rule and pulled into a very busy gas station in Pueblo Colorado. Are usually avoid busy stations because of all the confusion and chaos. As I was pulling into the pond a woman backing out of a parking spot in front of the convenient store collided with my rear passenger side and tore the jack almost completely off. The rear of the truck camper separated from the side panel almost halfway up. With a ratchet strap and some gorilla tape I was able to secure it enough to travel. Her passenger side bumper and rear panel and light are trash to but fortunately everybody is OK. We have the same insurance company and the representative told me it sounds like a clear case of her being at fault so liability will cover repairs. So my trip goes on but when I get home I need to bring it in and find out how long it will take and how much insurance will cover. I will post photographs when I have access to my computer but right now I’m using my phone at a rest stop. Be safe out there!

“It’s all in the reflexes.”
2012 Lance 850
2012 Chevy 2500 HD

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sucks!!!!
I hope the rest of your trip is "uneventful" and you have a great time.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Seminoe Joe

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks and yeah it most definitely sucks but that’s what insurance is for and at least the camper is still functional for the rest of my trip.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure you ask for an additional amount as diminished value. Almost NOBODY thinks of this when insurance pays to repair a vehicle, but that vehicle has been wrecked, and when it comes time to resell it you definitely WILL be financially penalized for that fact. This is common knowledge, but not so common when it comes to signing off on damages paid by the insurance company. Hope the rest of your trip goes much much better!

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck on the rest of the trip. It’s been my experience that insurance companies typically say equal fault if they insure both especially in a parking lot. I’d also put out some feelers to see if you can figure out where to get it fixed. It may take some time.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Seminoe Joe

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good suggestions. I already started looking around for a place close to where I live (hopefully). Haven’t heard back yet. I’ll call again tomorrow then broaden the search. Also, didn’t think about diminished value. Will definitely ask about that! Thank you!
Got to where I’m headed and am settled in and about to eat dinner. Definitely great to be out again!
Looking to post photos but it seems I need an external photo account or something. This will take some doin’.

* This post was edited 09/15/20 09:19pm by Seminoe Joe *

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To post photos, follow the instructions here.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Seminoe Joe

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the link! Here goes:
[image]
Here’s what I saw after the crunch sound. Not pretty.
[image]
Here’s what I was able to do with my ever-present ratchet straps and some clear tape.
[image]
And most importantly, here’s what makes it all worthwhile.
I’ll be spending the next week bumming around some of my favorite spots in Wyoming. Hopefully the insurance business goes smoothly and the repairs go semi-quickly!
Full report when I get back home next week.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry that happened to your camper.
As for insurance, I would go for "totalled".
While that idea might be abhorrent and debatable, there is a very likely chance that there will be hidden damage that you will only discover over time.

Impact to the camper frame on one corner could possibly rack the entire frame enough to crack joint welds if it is aluminum frame.
Or it possibly cracked a plastic water fitting causing a slow leak.

I would never buy a camper that was in a wreck. Diminished value? You bet!

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Seminoe Joe

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well 2020 continues to suck eggs. My insurance called me this morning and there’s good news and bad news. Good news is the other driver is liable for damage to my vehicle. Bad news is my idiot local agent wrote up the policy wrong so my truck camper is not actually covered. This will be a very expensive and painful lesson but some other good news is that the fishing is pretty good. If I was a drinking man I’d be three sheets to the wind right now If I was a drinking man I’d be three sheets to the wind right now.
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What a way to start a trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.