cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tongue height

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We just got a new tow rig. I’m setting the hitch highthand I’m not sure we’re it should be. Right now I have the truck level, the truck tongue is level, and the back bumper is level. Is this good or do I need to drop the tongue an inch or 2?
11 REPLIES 11

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
My brother-in-law came over and helped us and we wound up lowering the hitch 4 inches. Then took it on a test drive on the interstate at 70 mph. Felt great, no wiggle, didn’t even budge when a simi passed us. So I think we’re good to go.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Front of trailer one inch closer to the pavement than the rear. Might not be a whole lot better than level but gives you one inch more clearance at the rear for things like steep driveways and such.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
If everything is level you are good to go

Guy

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer frame should be parallel to slightly front down on a flat surface. Front axle of the TV should have most of the weight (or suspension height) restored.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Diamond c wrote:
the truck tongue is level,

What is a "truck tongue"?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've always heard nose down slightly but have always strived for level.

A WDH can be your friend here.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suppose that makes it right? May as well take off the back tires as they aren’t carrying much anyway. LOL!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Truck level and the trailer down in front 2 or 3 inches. That's the way I have rolled for over 40 years.

With tandem torsion axles, couple inches isn't bad, but as level as possible is best. Leaf springs, it doesn't matter.
Never understood the want to set trailers tongue low. Placebo affect that you have good tongue weight?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Truck level and the trailer down in front 2 or 3 inches. That's the way I have rolled for over 40 years.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Goal...connected truck and trailer are both level.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
We just got a new tow rig. I’m setting the hitch highthand I’m not sure we’re it should be. Right now I have the truck level, the truck tongue is level, and the back bumper is level. Is this good or do I need to drop the tongue an inch or 2?

Usually you want to back the truck up to the trailer, Don't hook up. But have the trailer level. Set the ball at least ONE inch higher than the trailer coupler. (Make sure the trailer is level).
Then hook up, and adjust the weight carrying bar to the point that the front of the truck comes back down to with in 1/2 inch of the height it was before you hooked up. IF you get the front right. The back usually takes care of itself. Just make sure the back of the truck is NO HIGHER than it was unhooked..

BTW. the trailer needs to be level after you hook up as well. Nose up, or nose down can cause a poor towing experience, AND cause the axles / tires to carry more weight than the other, and could cause tire failure.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers