cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Suspension Mods

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the rig in my sig: 2017 F350 with and Arctic Fox 990. It's me the wife and the dog. Don't haul much liquid. Figure I'm around the 4000 lb mark.

I've put in the Rancho adjustables front and back, Firestone Air bags, and the larger bump stops that engage the overload spring earlier.

Not loving the air bags on this rig. I've tried anywhere from 10 to 60 lbs.

At 10-20 lbs, I hear something banging when I hit a bridge expansion or frost heave in the road, like something's bottoming out.

Above 20-25, I lose the banging but it's way too bouncy side to side.

I'm thinking maybe a Big Wig might help out on the side to side but I feel the issue is probably the air bags and something like helper springs are the most appropriate solution.

Hoping to get some feedback from folks that have the same truck and similar weight camper to get a more solid ride that isn't compromised when camper is off.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990
2017 Sailfish 290 w/Twin 300 Verados
52 REPLIES 52

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too heavy is the right answer.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The video on replacing springs should be enough to convince anyone that this is not a driveway project for a novice and especially for a novice without specialized tools. By comparison Supersprings can be bolted on without even removing the wheels. The only trick seems to be adjusting the springs which is something that can be easily done and changed, if needed.

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff thanks for the feedback and video link. I'm hoping the Supersprings will accomplish the same.

rv8pilot, if you mean my rig, no, it's an 8' bed.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

rv8pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping I am wrong, but Looking at the Picture in your signature, I see an Arctic Fox 990 on a 'Short' bed Single rear wheel drive F350. Correct? If so, you need either a F350 class DRWD(dually) truck with a standard 8' bed or a different camper (arctic fox 8xx series). I am pretty sure the 990 requires an 8' bed (check with factory).
Vince
Desert Aire, WA
Arctic Fox 990,2004
Ford F-350 Dually, 2002

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I haven't seen anybody ask it so here goes, are your airbags independent of each other, or are they sharing the same air fill location and connected to each other? Airbags need to be independent of each other and if connected will worsen sway. Having gotten that out of the way. Firestones worked well for me but to ride level, I had to fill them to 80 PSI so the airbags were doing most of the work. I have a large rear sway bar and Rancho 9K's but I still got frequent bottom outs on back roads. Solution, I removed the stock 3000 # rated OEM springs and installed 6+1 leaf 4400 # rated rear leaf springs. The Truck and camper ride close to level now requiring only about 10 pounds air in the Firestones. The Firestones don't reach the spring unless the camper is on the truck because it sits higher now but that is ok, The Firestones are still attached to the frame mounts and when the TC is loaded and with 10 pounds air, they ride on the springs also lifting about half an inch making the tuck level. The airbags are also a third support point for the frame distributing the TC weight better than just the front and rear shackle mounts alone would do. It took myself and a friend a few hours to do the whole job, both sides. Price was about 150-200 each and 250 shipping from Texas from SD Springs, check the name, SD something, Bedlam's recommendation. They are working great after I think 2 years now and I have no complaints about the ride whether the TC is on or off. Here's the installation video if your interested, others here may have seen this video before. Rear Leaf Springs Installation

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW,

I removed the camper the other day and hit the dump scale again.

Full tank of gas and my fat ass and nothing else: 7350 lbs.

Cat scale had be at 12500 lbs with wife and dog and provisions.

12500 - 7350 = 5150

Minus ~400 lbs for wife, dog, and provisions says the 2017 AF 990 with one tank of propane, 3 empty liquid tanks, and provisions was around 4700 lbs.

Pretty close to the AF stated wet-rate and what Geo*Boy sees with his rig.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Well,

Hit a Cat scale last Friday.

Front: 4680
Rear: 7820
Total: 12500

Had one of the propane tanks empty on the ride up.
Drained all water and waste water before we left.
Me the wife and the dog.
Fridge full, Q grill in back hold, 3 chairs on back ladder, some tools in the small passenger side compartment, nothing much in the basement. We carry the usual dinnerware, glasses, etc.
Clothes for the weekend.
Nothing in the back seat of truck but the 80 lb mutt.

Might be the camper was an inch shy of hitting the bump stops against the bed front but can't see that having any real impact.

Had the bags set at 35 psi for the ride up and it seems to be the sweet spot for that load. Minimal sway for the load.

I've decided that I'm just not an air bag fan though. Would rather have spring steel under me.

I'm also not comfy with the overload I'm currently carrying and feel obligated to rectify that for our own safety and others.

I'll bump the wheels and tires up so they're at least at 4500 per.

Going to add the SuperSprings. Looking at their ordering page, they show capacities as such:

3500 PSP-7 (included)
1750 Half Kit

Probably being dense here, but that 3500 lb capacity for the set?
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our truck camper set up. Been very happy with it.
2013 Ram diesel HO, crew cab long bed dually
lower stable load
Firestone air bags (dual control).
Hellwig Big wig rear sway bar
stock tires

Camper Arctic Fox 1140 wet

Weights
empty
front 5120
rear 3580

loaded
front 5300
rear 9500
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:

My last (3/4 ton) truck had supersprings, airbags, sway bar. It handled the camper fine (not as good as our newer 1 ton), but it was fine. But man, the ride was nasty. I mean NASTY. .....

I had great success with the supersprings and the ride was greatly improved. The airbags were a disaster because they caused excess sway. That was with a 3/4 ton truck. For my 1 ton truck I have only added Timbrens and they seem to work. I would not have any hesitation to add SS if I felt I needed excess capacity.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheftim wrote:
Thanks all.

TriBeard, heading to a Cat scale on Friday. I'll report.

billtex, -->Not sure The advantage of adding SS’s to a 1 ton. Why not take full advantage of the OE spring pack?

Can you help me out with what you mean there? Are you suggesting adding leaves to the current pack?

My point; if you have a 3/4 ton you can gain some spring rate by adding leafs, supersprings, etc to get to a spring rate = to a 1 ton.

With a one ton I would suggest utilizing the existing spring pack (bottom overloads, upper overloads) to their fullest before i started adding any springs. You can accomplish this with a number of products; lower/upper stableloads, etc that when setup properly will not effect unladen ride.

The problem with adding springs is you WILL compromise the ride quality when unladen. If you intend to leave the TC loaded all the time, maybe not an issue.

My last (3/4 ton) truck had supersprings, airbags, sway bar. It handled the camper fine (not as good as our newer 1 ton), but it was fine. But man, the ride was nasty. I mean NASTY. But i added all that because I was starting from a 3/4 ton.
Which is also why we now have a 1 ton...with no mods that effect unladen ride.

I guess the summary (IMO) is the approach to Suspension mods to a 3/4ton truck should be different than a 1 ton truck.

Good luck, i know there are a lot of different opinions on this topic. After my last experience I did not want any mods that would effect unladen ride. And i accomplished that 100%.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to change your springs, I suggest going to a spring shop for a custom solution if you have a spring shop in the area. It’s probably going to be about the same cost or even less than SuperSprings.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheftim wrote:

billtex, -->Not sure The advantage of adding SS’s to a 1 ton. Why not take full advantage of the OE spring pack?

Because the springs are marginal for the weight. That can happen even if you are within the load rating. Supersprings are a low cost solution. You can bolt them on yourself and there is some adjustability.

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

TriBeard, heading to a Cat scale on Friday. I'll report.

Can you help me out with what you mean there? Are you suggesting adding leaves to the current pack?
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cheftim wrote:
Buzzcut1,

Yeah, tires are rated at 3415 each so that will need to be upgraded. Thanks for that feedback.

Anyone have E or F tire suggestions that are decent on the highway and are around 4k load range?

I'm leaning towards Supersprings as well.

Any of them. You need to be in the larger size tires to get the upper weight ratings though.
Sounds crazy, but I feel the Firestone MTs, which I’ve siped, are lasting longer than the last 2 sets, 1 of which was Toyo MTs that are known for good tread life.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold