Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Need Suspension Mods
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Need Suspension Mods

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
cheftim

Bourne, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got the rig in my sig: 2017 F350 with and Arctic Fox 990. It's me the wife and the dog. Don't haul much liquid. Figure I'm around the 4000 lb mark.

I've put in the Rancho adjustables front and back, Firestone Air bags, and the larger bump stops that engage the overload spring earlier.

Not loving the air bags on this rig. I've tried anywhere from 10 to 60 lbs.

At 10-20 lbs, I hear something banging when I hit a bridge expansion or frost heave in the road, like something's bottoming out.

Above 20-25, I lose the banging but it's way too bouncy side to side.

I'm thinking maybe a Big Wig might help out on the side to side but I feel the issue is probably the air bags and something like helper springs are the most appropriate solution.

Hoping to get some feedback from folks that have the same truck and similar weight camper to get a more solid ride that isn't compromised when camper is off.

2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990
2017 Sailfish 290 w/Twin 300 Verados

[email protected]

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Northstar Igloo on a 2013 F350 CCLB SRW and I added Sumosprings and Torklift upper stable loads. That seems to work for the suspension and to get rid of some sway I am adding a BigWig swaybar, replacing the wimpy OEM swaybar, next week when I have a moment. I'm sure your rig is heavier than mine so an additional leaf in your spring pack might be in order. Can't really tell you what to do, just what has worked for me.

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What settings are you running your shocks on? Also, what tire pressure/tires are you using?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AF 990 is really too heavy for a SRW truck, that is why Northwood’s recommends DRW trucks for ALL their AF campers.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it sounds like you must have over load springs, that work as the truck body drops the springs come into contact with the overload spring perches on the frame.

Your not loaded enough to make them come into play full time so they BANG every time the springs hit them
As you crank up the air bags they you are raising the back so they never hit again.

on my Ram I replaced the rubber spring perch mounts with larger poly ones made by Energy Suspension. they are taller so they come into play sooner, but with those slots in them they need to crush as the weigh increases and it stopped the banging but did not affect the ride.

Torklift Upper stable loads so the same thing, but they are harder and will not crush as they come into play.

some have used hockey pucks mounted on spring perches as well.

I sold my 2006 to my Brother and he still has the same pair on for 125,000 miles. I had them on my 2015 as well.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too much for a SRW truck. Your extensive modification efforts show it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go scale your rig at a CAT Scale don't guess. Once you know the real load on each axle and post it we can give you some real world advice

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

ranholago

MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 f 350 DRW admittedly a different truck, I have a 2002 Lance 1130 which is heavy also.
When I bought the truck it had Firestone air bags. Since that time I have added one fix at a time, upper helper spring spacers (similar to "Towpro") then added lower wedges, similar in purpose to the "Torklift" lower helper spring spacer. These two items helped but just didn't feel right. My truck came with sway bars front and rear, I replaced those with Helwig bars (much thicker) made night and day difference. I think the sway bars were the biggest bang for the buck, helping with sway and overall handling, For me they were the single best thing I did to improve handing and side to side sway. The air bags for me were never right, when I applied air (and it didn't matter the pressure, I tried all different pressures) it just did not seem to help. I took them off and installed Timbrens, I haven't taken a trip with the Timbrens yet but just minor trips to fuel up or into town seem to be a big improvement. I will see when I get loaded up and actually take a trip. I have a feeling the Timbrens will be an improvement.
I know our trucks are different. and there are many years between them, but this is what helped the handling of my truck. Of all the reading on this and other forums I have found that everyone is different and every ones situation is different. Basically every one seems to try Air bags, they just didnt really work out the way I had hoped and I finally got rid of them.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

it sounds like you must have over load springs, that work as the truck body drops the springs come into contact with the overload spring perches on the frame.

Your not loaded enough to make them come into play full time so they BANG every time the springs hit them
As you crank up the air bags they you are raising the back so they never hit again.

This.

Ditch the airbags and add lower Stableloads . You’ll be all set.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

cheftim

Bourne, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up sbryan.

jimh425, rear shocks are cranked all the way up, front on 6. 80 lbs rear tires 70 lbs front.

Geo*Boy, thanks for the feedback. The truck has the 11300 rating and the load sticker shows 4331. I usually travel with empty grey and black and 20 gal of water.

Towpro, I have upper overloads and Torklift uppers. I never have enough air in the bags to take the Torklift off the upper overloads as it's obviously way to wobbly side to side. I usually try to have enough air in to bring it back up an inch or so.

Buzzcut1, no CAT scales near me. Camper's on the truck. I'll see if the town dump will let me on their scales and report back on the axle weights tomorrow.

Thanks all.

* This post was edited 09/15/20 07:19pm by cheftim *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Need Suspension Mods
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.