cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Half ton towing

jeeperman
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone tow a small fifth wheel with a half ton ?
25ft.to 29ft
Dry weight 7000
Hitch weight 1400lbs
Truck f-150
5.0 v8 3rd gen. 400hp 400lbs tq
9200 trailer tow rating
2210 payload.
Firestone air bags
Do you feel this would be safer than same size trailer considering sway ect.
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, been doing this for 15 years. No issues. Braking is no trouble. Yes on the steeper grades you will be hanging out with the loaded semis big deal. Been over the Rockies, through Death Valley, Yellowstone, west coast, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, would not hesitate to go about anywhere. Very stable in all conditions. Has never felt unsafe. Truck has just over 200,000 miles and still does great. No maintenance issues. Original transmission. New 400hp vs my tired 260hp would make pulling a breeze.

Can't say it is for everyone but I am very happy.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeeperman your 150 has 52 pounds less payload capacity than ours. We tow a 29' 5'er and put pertnear 15,000 miles on that puppy in the past 7 years with the majority of miles in the southern Rookies of southwestern Colorado. Only suspension addition has been a set of SumoSprings (at 56,000 miles). Truck just turned 58,000 miles and got a set of Bilstein's to replace the crappy OEM's. Oh... the main different is ...you got a 5.0 V8 & we got that little 3.5 v6 (ecobeast). So!

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

jeeperman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions, after more consideration I will stick
To my TT and f 150. The ride when not towing is hard to give up as well as the
Cargo room without the hitch in the bed. Happy camping everyone.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a Ford F150 with the ecoboost engine and pulls a Cougar 29' fifth wheel with it. The truck has the heavy duty payload package along with LT tires in lieu of the P-metric tires. He said it also has heavy duty brakes compared to the standard truck. Pulls and stops the trailer very well, according to him. I have seen him on some hills when we camped together and he has no problem keeping up with traffic. Seems to have good stopping power also. I wouldn't want to do it but he has no issues, as of yet.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bottom line you need side wall stability on any tow rig!

I followed a F150 towing what I would guess to be a 30' 5th wheel. I forgot to get the name of the 5er. The truck was definitely squatting, and best way to describe it, wallowing.

I know when I went to 10 ply tires on my F150, towing my TT was much improved.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bottom line you need side wall stability on any tow rig!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN wrote:
jeeper....Straight answer would be if your F150 has enough rawr. A 7k dry weight which grows to 8500 lbs, maybe more, = 1600-1800 lb pin weight. Add 200 lbs for hitch/rails/etc......the truck has maybe 2000 lb siting on the rear axle. Now load the cab with all the people and other gear.

This.

Add in 400-800 for people and gear in the truck and I'm betting you are overloaded by the time you head out.

I would want to stay under 7k FULLY LOADED if you are insistent on using a 1/2 ton truck.

Assuming the setup is within weight ratings and properly set up, I wouldn't expect a significant safety difference between 5th wheel and bumper pull. A properly set up bumper pull is not dangerous.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
First thing is to forget the dry weights. Use the trailer GVWR from the tag on the left front of the trailer. This is the maximum weight of the loaded trailer. To estimate your loaded pin weight take 20 to 22% of the trailer GVWR.

Now look on the drivers door jamb for a yellow sticker that provides the payload capacity of the truck. Take your estimated pin weight plus a hitch plus passengers plus any cargo in the truck bed. All of that added up needs to be less then the payload capacity of the truck.

A 1/2 ton truck will reach its payload capacity long before you reach the trucks maximum towing capacity.

Good luck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Some do it safely A F150 can be bought with a heavy duty payload package which gives you about 2800 lbs of payload. That's more payload than a F250 diesel. Just need to do your homework.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I worked all the #'s (well, most) and concluded my F-150 could comfortably tow the 32' FW in my sig. And it does great. It tows so much better in every aspect than a 35' TT I previously had. Only one problem I didn't consider. I'm within RAWR until I fill the gray and black tanks. My waste tanks are forward of the FW axles. With full waste tanks, my pin weight pushes me WAY over RAWR. I crawl to the dump station avoiding every bump and dip as I go.

As far as brakes, the trailer came with a full set of functional brakes. This is the most ridicules argument of all. And then they'll say what happens if you lose your trailer brakes. That same argument applies to a 3/4 or 1 ton towing a 40+ ft monster FW.

Will your truck work well with a particular FW? Only research can answer that question.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jeeper....Straight answer would be if your F150 has enough rawr. A 7k dry weight which grows to 8500 lbs, maybe more, = 1600-1800 lb pin weight. Add 200 lbs for hitch/rails/etc......the truck has maybe 2000 lb siting on the rear axle. Now load the cab with all the people and other gear.

JMO if your truck has the 4550 rawr then your looking for around 2200-2300 lb payload on the rear axle. That size trailer will max out its load carrying capacity.

Ford markets the F150HDPP that comes with a 4800 rawr. Those numbers can give you a 2400-2500 lb rear axle payload and would be a good choice for under 10k 5th wheel trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
People are doing this exact thing daily. You can argue against it as unsafe, but the highways are far from littered with disabled F150's. Those who won't should move over for those who do.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bags n โ€œEโ€ tires G-G.

Like ๐Ÿ™‚

Sarcasm, maybe, but a little truth also. Your truck has a good payload for a 1/2 ton, and likely a RAWR of 4K+

Your truck should be capable of a smaller FW, with a loaded to camp wt of say 8-9 K. I would rather tow a 8,500 lb FW with your truck, than the same wt TT

Jerry

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You say 7000 Lbs dry, do you plan to always tow it totally empty? The typical load people put into a 5er is between 1000 & 2000 Lbs. What is the GVWR of it, 20 to 25% of that will be you're more realistic pin weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint