Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford 7.3 gas burner mpg hauling TC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas burner mpg hauling TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

I've never been able to fuel up as cheaply as I did this summer.

What I found funny is that over the Labor Day weekend there was a piece on the national news wherein some "expert" told the nation that gas prices would be dropping as soon as the Labor Day weekend was over and folks weren't driving so much

Since then our gas prices have risen 30 cents a gallon.

But in Minnesoooota, they’re **** near giving gas away. Cheapest is saw was $1.84 I believe and I don’t think it was corn whiskey.
Even the “expensive” diesel there was about the same price as farm fuel here.
Buying a vehicle based on your local fuel prices, unless it’s a short term deal or you don’t leave the area and know the historical differences, is futile.
At $1.84/gal it’s basically a wash gas is 1/3 cheaper and 1/3 worse mileage.
Out here road diesel is on par with gas, or a bit cheaper. So 1/3 more for gas + 1/2 the torque = no thanks for me and gassers.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

[image]

This was my new work truck a few years ago and I still drive it when I fill in for the other drivers.

New it was averaging 12.2 mpg and now with over 580,000 miles it still averages over 11.5.

I'd take a new Ford 7.3 over and of the big three diesels.

[emoticon] Are you saying that's a gas truck ? I'd say that was pretty good economy and longevity for a truck with that capacity .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

[emoticon] Are you saying that's a gas truck ? I'd say that was pretty good economy and longevity for a truck with that capacity .

Nope not gas. Just amazing that it gets the miles per gallon that it does.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with the new Ford gas engine is,since the old 460 gas,they have had problems with there new engines like the 5.4 and V-10 spitting plugs..For that reason alone,I would personally pass on the first year or two on new Ford engines..

I never really worry about fuel mileage having owned the big bores(440-454-460) for the last fifty years and my old work truck was always hoping to 5 MPG...

My old work truck never did average 5 mpg..

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

The problem with the new Ford gas engine is,since the old 460 gas,they have had problems with there new engines like the 5.4 and V-10 spitting plugs..For that reason alone,I would personally pass on the first year or two on new Ford engines..

They are only newer compared to your 1997. They haven’t had that issue since 2008.

Read more here. http://www.fordproblems.com/spark-plug-ejection/

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From 1997 to 2008 Ford acknowledges there may be a problem..That's 11 years of problems since they quit making the 460..

Just say'n...

The new 7.3 gas is to early to see if it suffers from anything..Maybe it will be like the old reliable 460 and maybe it will be like the problematic V-10 and 5.4..To early to say.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

They are only newer compared to your 1997. They haven’t had that issue since 2008.

Read more here. http://www.fordproblems.com/spark-plug-ejection/

While old habits die hard and when talking vehicles that old, the likelihood of other issues besides spitting a plug are probably greater.
Fun fact, buddy has a 2014 or 2015 E450 box van for work with a 5.4. It vomited a spark plug a couple years ago.
Not a valid reason to stick with a 30 year old truck though, IMO.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the years before 97 didn’t have a problem, so you can say 11 years means every other engine would have that problem. However, that ignores that they’ve gone 11 years and multiple engines without the issue.

If you don’t like 1st/2nd years that’s fine, but if it’s because of the sparkplug issue, you don’t have a real concern.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

All of the years before 97 didn’t have a problem, so you can say 11 years means every other engine would have that problem. However, that ignores that they’ve gone 11 years and multiple engines without the issue.

If you don’t like 1st/2nd years that’s fine, but if it’s because of the sparkplug issue, you don’t have a real concern.

No Jim...I just don't understand Ford and there reasoning..They Already had a tried and proven engine for over 20 years and the EFI was making gas mileage much better...

460 V8
The legendary 460, one of Ford's 385 engine family, was the Blue Oval's final big block engine design. The 460 became available in the F-Series back in 1974 and was offered until 1996/7. The big motor remains popular today thanks to it's towing capability and reliability. It's also a great building block for making serious power, as even minor modifications can result in significant increases in horsepower and torque.

The old 460 had a lot of horses to bring out of the stable as well as TQ numbers,but instead,they made the V-10 which kinda flopped and had some serious issues at first..Now the new 7.3 and I wonder like many,will this one be right?

Fuel mileage isn't much better and neither is TQ..

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco, 1999 just called me. They want their opinion back and said to let go of the past. And since the Triton engines have now had a longer run than the 460 and continue to be in production in the class 4/5 chassis, as well as being regarded as one of the best powerplants of the last 20 years, I gotta say this is pretty much ONLY your opinion.
And generally when you think you're the only one right and the rest of the world is wrong, you generally are wrong.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas burner mpg hauling TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.