cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to RV/towing. Whats my best option for a towing setup?

spol11
Explorer
Explorer
Tow vehicle: 2013 Nissan Quest SV 6 cyl.
Max tow capacity: 3500#
Torque: 240 ft/lb

RV: 2000 Trailmanor 2720 SL
Dry weight: 2875#
Payload cap: ~1210#
Hitch weight: ~392#

In the van will be my wife and two young kids.
Van dry weight: 4400#
So, vehicle weight + load/passenger = approx. 5000#

I'm looking at whether a class 2 or class 3 trailer hitch would be more appropriate. As well as whether a weight distribution hitch might be an even safer idea.

Thoughts on safety of pulling this pop up/expandable camper with my van??
9 REPLIES 9

blt2ski
Double posted, see other post HERE
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m pretty sure the vanโ€™s max hitch weight is 350 lbs. The dry hitch weight of the TM exceeds that. Add LP and battery and some other stuff, the real world hitch weight is likely to be 450-500 lbs, maybe more. Youโ€™ll be overloading the hitch receiver and maybe the rear suspension as well. Do you really want to take the chance on the receiver ripping off the vanโ€™s underside at highway speed, sending the TM careening into oncoming traffic? I wouldnโ€™t attempt this without, at minimum, a custom reinforced-mount receiver. Even then Iโ€™d load the trailer very minimally to keep the total trailer weight under 3500 if at all possible. And expect to drive 35-40 mph up and down the long, steep grades.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It appears that your van will be at max towing weight before you add propane and batteries, no margin for errors.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope all your travels are on flat ground with a good tailwind or all downhill with a long runout when your brakes go up in smoke. You can make a train move with a washing machine motor and enough gears, I don't think most of us would be still on the green side before that happens.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Vehicles designed to tow, I personally dont get that excited about going over a bit on specs. However that isn't one of those types of vehicles. You might want to run the Nissan and RV over a set of scales, fully loaded ready to camp and see what your true weight is.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets see, tow cap 3500#
Trailer almost 3000# DRY weight and dry weight is before the OEM adds accessories.
Trailer can carry 1200# total 4200#
see a problem here? And don't think that you won't load up the trailer. We all say that but we do but stuff makes it's way in there anyway. Most trailers have around 1000+ pounds of stuff in them, clothes, pots, pans, dishes, flatware, blankets, towels, food, drinks, water in tanks (very heavy) the list goes on and on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should not double post.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is the vanโ€™s payload max? What weight do you estimate will be carried in the van?

I believe youโ€™ll be over on payload. The max gross trailer weight is over your vanโ€™s capacity already. You generally wonโ€™t be happy. In the mountains youโ€™ll be more than unhappy. Isnโ€™t that van a unibody which generally wonโ€™t accommodate WDH?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad