cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing camper with van. What rating hitch should I purchase?

spol11
Explorer
Explorer
Tow vehicle: 2013 Nissan Quest SV 6 cyl.
Max tow capacity: 3500#
Torque: 240 ft/lb

RV: 2000 Trailmanor 2720 SL
Dry weight: 2875#
Payload cap: ~1210#
Hitch weight: ~392#

In the van will be my wife and two young kids.
Van dry weight: 4400#
So, vehicle weight + load/passenger = approx. 5000#

I'm looking at whether a class 2 or class 3 trailer hitch would be more appropriate. As well as whether a weight distribution hitch might be an even safer idea.

Thoughts on safety of pulling this pop up/expandable camper with my van??
18 REPLIES 18

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spol11 wrote:
Bikendan, that was dry TW. I've redone my math.... I would have to somehow keep my van/trailer payload at/under 300# to be safe and that's just not happening. And the TW is an immediate issue, so that van wont be pulling anytime soon.
Valhalla360, I have already started looking. I'll be back in the forums with more questions once I get a proper TV.

Yep, the 350lbs max hitch weight is the main weakness for minivans, then the 3500lbs towing capacity.
That's why Popups, teardrops and A-frames are about the only choices.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

spol11
Explorer
Explorer
Bikendan, that was dry TW. I've redone my math.... I would have to somehow keep my van/trailer payload at/under 300# to be safe and that's just not happening. And the TW is an immediate issue, so that van wont be pulling anytime soon.
Valhalla360, I have already started looking. I'll be back in the forums with more questions once I get a proper TV.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
spol11 wrote:
valhalla360... I'm trying hard to get someone to tell me everything will work out great and my setup is fine ๐Ÿ™‚

At this very moment, a truck is unobtainable. But after going through my math numerous times and getting great feedback on this forum, I'm quickly realizing a used truck will likely be in my driveway by next year.

You can get a reliable 4 door pickup that will easily handle that trailer pretty cheap.

Our current 2008 F250 4 door was only $10k and we've had it for 2yrs with nothing but standard maintenance (not that you need a 3/4 ton). Our previous 3/4 ton was only $6k. Reliability has never been an issue buying at around 10yrs old (current truck is really clean but body rust can be an appearance issue)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spol11 wrote:
Good input bikendan.
I have found that the tongue weight on this particular trailer is about 390#. Obviously that still exceeds the van's max TW.
Would a weight dist. hitch help at all??
or is it as simple as TW cannot exceed TW capacity of towing vehicle? thanks in advance.

a WDH will not lower tongue weight, it just shifts it. and is that 390lbs the actual weighed tongue weight or a brochure/website "dry" tongue weight? and we haven't even discussed the van's payload capacity.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

spol11
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360... I'm trying hard to get someone to tell me everything will work out great and my setup is fine ๐Ÿ™‚

At this very moment, a truck is unobtainable. But after going through my math numerous times and getting great feedback on this forum, I'm quickly realizing a used truck will likely be in my driveway by next year.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would pick the hitch attached to a truck with sufficient ratings.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

spol11
Explorer
Explorer
Good input bikendan.
I have found that the tongue weight on this particular trailer is about 390#. Obviously that still exceeds the van's max TW.
Would a weight dist. hitch help at all??
or is it as simple as TW cannot exceed TW capacity of towing vehicle? thanks in advance.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spol11 wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely good feedback. I figured class 3 was better option but this solidified my choice.
I also knew that I was going to be maxed out (or very close) with supplies in camper/van but some of your info has me thinking I need to just purchase a truck with better towing capabilities sooner than later. The last thing I want to do is ruin the transmission on my wife's van in a year or two of camping.
(sorry for the cross post).

There aren't any hybrids with a dry tongue weight under 350lbs. The Rockwod Roo line of hybrids, are the best selling hybrid line and the most floorplans. Their smallest Roo 19 has a fictitious dry tongue weight of 448lbs. That's with no battery, no factory options, no water and no cargo.
Popups or A-frame trailers are pretty much all you can tow with that. It's the 350lbs max hitch weight that's the biggest issue.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI need to just purchase a truck with better towing capabilities sooner than later.โ€œ

Good plan. Could also consider a Tahoe or Expedition. Look at the payload sticker before anything else. Not what the salesman says...the sticker.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

spol11
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely good feedback. I figured class 3 was better option but this solidified my choice.
I also knew that I was going to be maxed out (or very close) with supplies in camper/van but some of your info has me thinking I need to just purchase a truck with better towing capabilities sooner than later. The last thing I want to do is ruin the transmission on my wife's van in a year or two of camping.
(sorry for the cross post).

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spol11 wrote:
Tow vehicle: 2013 Nissan Quest SV 6 cyl.
Max tow capacity: 3500#
Torque: 240 ft/lb

RV: 2000 Trailmanor 2720 SL
Dry weight: 2875#
Payload cap: ~1210#
Hitch weight: ~392#

In the van will be my wife and two young kids.
Van dry weight: 4400#
So, vehicle weight + load/passenger = approx. 5000#

I'm looking at whether a class 2 or class 3 trailer hitch would be more appropriate. As well as whether a weight distribution hitch might be an even safer idea.

Thoughts on safety of pulling this pop up/expandable camper with my van??

the fictional dry tongue weight will already exceed the Quest's max of 350lbs, before anything is added.

that van is really only rated for popups.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be a VERY UNHAPPY camper trying to towing a 4000# trailer with a 3500# rated TV regardless of the hitch. You might get by if you stay in the flat plains states like Oklahoma, Kansas, or Nebraska. You may end up being a slow rolling traffic hazard on any hilly roads anywhere else. Don't even think of driving in the mountains.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welcome to the forum bud!

Many folks here will freak out at the proposed setup you're thinking about towing.
Yes class 3 hitch. Yes weight distribution absolutely, if your vehicle is rated to do that.
No need to freak out, but your vehicle is certainly at the top of it's ability to pull that camper for several reasons.
1. Extremely soft rear suspension.
2. Not meant as a tow rig, watch your temps and make sure maint is up to snuff.
3. Make sure the trailer brakes are setup well and working as designed.
4. You live in the wrong state to be towing over the wight limit with a marginal tow rig. You can't go far in any direction form SLC without real grades to pull or come down. Altitude means, if you head into the mountains, your marginal 260hp minivan is now a 200hp minivan.
Honestly, I wouldn't invest $ in the van to pull that camper unless short local trips. I would not want to hit the mountains loaded for fun with that as a tow vehicle.
Safe? yes I believe the size and weight of the van will not get man handled too bad by the trailer. As long as you have good brakes and trailer brakes and know how to drive in the mountains with a vehicle twice the weight of what it normally is.
However be prepared to put the 4 ways on up and down the big grades and taker slow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Class 3. Our situation is very similar and we opted for class 3. As I recall we could not find a class 2 and the numbers were the deciding factor.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)