Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Advice to omit the auto change LP valve
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice to omit the auto change LP valve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im going off the highly scientific data of my camping friends saying "the regulators on trailers are junk and leak all the time."

I dont use the auto feature and hoped i could find a higher quality single regulator for a cheaper price.

The Marshal high flow is $30 but it looks to be the same "crimped" construction as someone described above. My lack of knowledge on the subject makes me wonder if its the overall construction that fails. Or do the auto change components fail?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

Why not use the auto changeover valve as is is designed? I have one on my TT and really like not getting up in the middle of the night to switch tanks. I check my valve every day to see if it had switched itself to the backup bottle. I never smell any propane near the regulator and don't worry about it. We do a fair amount of cold weather camping so we enjoy a warm camper.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology.

Mine have always had a switch you have to rotate to get the fresh tank going...just takes a second outside at the tanks.

I prefer this over any system that does it automatically in the middle of the night...because I'm not going to go check the propane every day (just not going to happen), so I can pretty much guarantee I would forget and then one night both tanks would be empty.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Im going off the highly scientific data of my camping friends saying "the regulators on trailers are junk and leak all the time."
Sarcasm noted, but they're wrong.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

I dont use the auto feature and hoped i could find a higher quality single regulator for a cheaper price.

The Marshal high flow is $30 but it looks to be the same "crimped" construction as someone described above. My lack of knowledge on the subject makes me wonder if its the overall construction that fails. Or do the auto change components fail?

You don't need a new regulator.

But you DO need NEW FRIENDS!

They are 100% "scientifically" wrong and you are just following their bad advice like a "lemming" right off the cliff.

Leave your auto change reg in place, only leave one cylinder turned on and enjoy.

I personally do that and have done that on 2 different trailers with no issues..

The nice thing about having auto changeover and only have one cylinder on is you can simply shut off the empty tank when empty while camping, open the full cylinder and never have to break camp to get cylinder filled or have to physically change cylinders.

If it does develop a leak, you WILL smell it, so as long as you do not smell anything there is nothing wrong with your reg.

If you currently have a hose leaking, just buy a new hose, buy 2 and replace both at the same time just to have fresh hoses.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

If it does develop a leak, you WILL smell it, so as long as you do not smell anything there is nothing wrong with your reg.
Not true at all. People go nuts trying to find propane leaks.

poppa

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

wopachop wrote:

You don't need a new regulator.

But you DO need NEW FRIENDS!

They are 100% "scientifically" wrong and you are just following their bad advice like a "lemming" right off the cliff.

Leave your auto change reg in place, only leave one cylinder turned on and enjoy.

I personally do that and have done that on 2 different trailers with no issues..

The nice thing about having auto changeover and only have one cylinder on is you can simply shut off the empty tank when empty while camping, open the full cylinder and never have to break camp to get cylinder filled or have to physically change cylinders.

If you currently have a hose leaking, just buy a new hose, buy 2 and replace both at the same time just to have fresh hoses.
why do you need the auto feature if you leave one tank off?

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, do what you need to do to sleep at night.. I sleep just fine with what I do and I even run the fridge on propane when traveling! OMG..

Anyway, sorry I can't help you with your replacement parts.. I've never had to replace mine, so just don't know.. [emoticon]

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like cruise control. Some just refuse to give in to automation.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I like cruise control. Some just refuse to give in to automation.

Cruise control is great...until you ram into a stopped car in a construction zone.

Unless it has some audible indication or a flashing light by the door, if you camp in cold weather, you are going to find yourself without heat sooner or later unless you are obsessive about checking the tanks.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Under heavy use I don't consider a check once a day to be obsessive.
And yes I have camped at zero F.

With one tank off and the indicator is waking up to the elbow in your ribs due to the constant blowing of cold air at 3am so I can run out in my skivvies to open a valve.... no thanks. I will check it daily. BTDT Glad there was no rain or snow at the time.

I suppose if conditions were that extreme I would carry a 3rd cylinder.

As for cruise control, yes you still need to watch the road periodically.

* This post was edited 09/18/20 02:51pm by time2roll *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice to omit the auto change LP valve
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.