cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORD F-150 AXLE RATIO CHOICE

Bellavance
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer (Keystone 26RBS) weighs only 6600 lbs + cargo.
I’m about to order a 2021 Ford F-150 equipped as follows:
V6 3.5 engine
Standard (not Max) Trailer Towing Package.
This truck has a 10-speed auto transmission, and can tow 10,500 lbs and the same 16,200 lbs GCWR with EITHER the 3.31 or 3.55 AXLE RATIO, according to Ford.
I was thinking about ordering the 3.31 axle ratio for fuel economy on flat highways, and pulling the trailer in 9th or 8th gear if necessary, which would raise the axle ratio as needed.
Can anyone help with this decision?
Thanks.
Pierre
59 REPLIES 59

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
truck manufacturers have abandoned higher ratio rears such as 4.11 to 3.73.

2020 Silverado's use a 3.42 or a 3.23 because the new 8 speed 10 speed transmissions
have lower 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd gears than the old 4 speed transmissions and at least
1st gear lower than the 1st gear in the 6 speed transmissions.

when the 6 speed transmissions came out 1st gear was lower than the 1st gear in the
4 speed auto, and the 6th speed that was a second higher overdrive then found in
the 4 speed.

4spd ------------------1----2----3----4/OD--------------------------------known
6spd-------------1----2----3----4----5/OD----6/OD----------------------known
10spd 1----2----3----4----5----6----7----------8/OD--9/OD--10/OD--guesstimate

towing ability used to be mostly based on engine and rear ratio. those trucks
that had the 4 speed manual where 1st gear was an extra low gear that would
help get a heavy load moving.

todays trucks with 8 to 10 speed transmissions has shifted a good sized
portion of the ability to tow away from the rear ends.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you have an Eco, much less a max tow, you already have the 9.75” rear axle.
If it’s too soft, stiffen it up and it will then be the same as a HDPP.
Bit longer wheelbase will not make much difference, but any number of easy add one for the suspension and some LT tires if you’re near the top of your tires capacity will do the same for you.

And presume most thought you didn’t think it pulled hard enough, as that’s what the thread is about.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Engine and transmission performance is fine. I should have mentioned that. It's seat of the pants with regard to sway, proposing etc. Even after adjusting hitch and weight balance. This is where I think the long bed and the payload package would help. If I ordered a truck those options, I wouldn't be posting on this thread. The 3.5 eco can pull some weight for sure.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Icseds, what about your towing experience does not meet your expectations?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Ya always fun to read people’s opinions that have zero supporting evidence or basis for comparison.
Some people complain just to complain.
That smallish trailer will basically get its hitch pulled off by a new Eco boost. Unless of course the owner is comparing it to a newer diesel. Literally the only vehicles that have more power on tap than the Eco.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
lcseds wrote:
I bought a 2020 F150 Lariat CC SB 3.5 eco boost with max tow package and 3.55 off the lot in April. Not real happy with the towing performance. Towing a 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE.

If I did it again, I would order it. But I would add the HD payload package (without a doubt!) to the max tow pkg, and a long bed. These add tremendous capability to the F150.

There is no way I would get a 3.31 rear. Never. I consider a 3.55 a minimum for any towing with a gas engine.

I'm surprised you feel that way. Guess it's all how we perceive performance. I'm pulling similar to you 28' 6100lbs and the 3.5 with the 3.55 pulls it just fine. Much better than my old 5.4 with 3.73 rear end.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Anyone else remember the days before the internet when you bought a vehicle without knowing all the specific details about every nut and bolt? Back then unless you were a mechanic you didn't know or give a #### about axle ratios, lb/ft of torque or even how many HP the engine had. Trucks were bought to work; not drag race or be Mercedes replacements."

Copied this from another forum, made me think of this thread and sooo many others like it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
I think generally speaking people towing 10K regularly don't buy and F150 Ecoboost. For instance, I bought an Ecoboost because it is my daily driver. I use it 80%± as a daily driver and get great mpg every day doing so (leaps and bounds better then the F250 I got rid of); and yet, when I need it for towing, it's tow beast also (getting nearly the same mpg towing as my F250).

I agree. My point was I think the 10k rating is mostly marketing because Ford knows very few will push that limit while doing a lot of towing miles. If they do it once in a while mostly flat land towing, they will probably get away with it.

Most people towing a lot up near 10k will jump up to the 3/4 ton trucks.

For the 1 in a 10,000 who actually does tow heavy regularly with the ecoboost, it's such a small percentage that it really doesn't impact the reputation if they have issues as it's so rare.

If Ford really trusted the engine to regularly tow heavy like that, you would see them offer it in the 3/4 ton trucks because commercial operators would be salivating over the fuel saving of a 3/4 ton that can get even 17-18 mpg when not towing and yes, you do see a lot of them cruising around empty or with just a light load where boost would be negligible and MPG would be much better.

I agree its mostly marketing however promoting 10k tow rating only adds to the confusion.
Most consumers simply don't understand the tow ratings.
They see an F-150 can tow 10K and they are sold.
They don't realize only a few rare F-150's can tow 10K and those trucks are generally not found on dealer lots.
RV manufactures promote 1/2 ton towing as well.
We are reluctant to state that to tow a big trailer you need a big truck!
Instead we promote a confusing, misleading tale of 1/2 ton towing.

Spoken by people who apparently don’t do a lot of towing with different vehicles and different loads. Or Maybe just implying “fact” is based on your opinion of what factors of safety should be added on TOP of the mfgs already generally conservative ratings.

I’m constantly confused every time I hook a trailer to a half ton, some in the 8-12klb range and haul it through the mountains, how many keyboard warriors say it can’t be done or is unsafe.....
To both of your opinions’ credit though. Of course a heavier duty truck is more suited for a greater duty cycle of towing. That is objective information, not subjective drivel from someone who lacks experience or knowledge and covers it up with their own “facts.”

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mike134 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

What is the cost of a crew cab, max payload, max tow 3.5 eco-boost F-150?
I don't think they are bargain priced?

Not a bargain by any means. Quick comparison on the Ford build and price site
2020 F150 Lariat crew-cab with 3.5 ecoboost $48850 base price
2020 F250 Lariat crew-cab with diesel $61450 base price

Hahaha, not an apples to apples comparison. More like apples to pot roast. Both are food and neither are junk food. Bout where the similarities end if trying to support your argument.

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2020 F150 Lariat CC SB 3.5 eco boost with max tow package and 3.55 off the lot in April. Not real happy with the towing performance. Towing a 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE.

If I did it again, I would order it. But I would add the HD payload package (without a doubt!) to the max tow pkg, and a long bed. These add tremendous capability to the F150.

There is no way I would get a 3.31 rear. Never. I consider a 3.55 a minimum for any towing with a gas engine.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
I think generally speaking people towing 10K regularly don't buy and F150 Ecoboost. For instance, I bought an Ecoboost because it is my daily driver. I use it 80%± as a daily driver and get great mpg every day doing so (leaps and bounds better then the F250 I got rid of); and yet, when I need it for towing, it's tow beast also (getting nearly the same mpg towing as my F250).

I agree. My point was I think the 10k rating is mostly marketing because Ford knows very few will push that limit while doing a lot of towing miles. If they do it once in a while mostly flat land towing, they will probably get away with it.

For the 1 in a 10,000 who actually does tow heavy regularly with the ecoboost, it's such a small percentage that it really doesn't impact the reputation if they have issues as it's so rare.

If Ford really trusted the engine to regularly tow heavy like that, you would see them offer it in the 3/4 ton trucks because commercial operators would be salivating over the fuel saving of a 3/4 ton that can get even 17-18 mpg when not towing and yes, you do see a lot of them cruising around empty or with just a light load where boost would be negligible and MPG would be much better.

I agree its mostly marketing however promoting 10k tow rating only adds to the confusion.
Most consumers simply don't understand the tow ratings.
They see an F-150 can tow 10K and they are sold.
They don't realize only a few rare F-150's can tow 10K and those trucks are generally not found on dealer lots.
RV manufactures promote 1/2 ton towing as well.
We are reluctant to state that to tow a big trailer you need a big truck!
Instead we promote a confusing, misleading tale of 1/2 ton towing.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
For further comparisons, I have a 2018 F-150 Lariat Super Crew, 4x4, 3.5 Eco engine, 3.55 locking rear with the 10 speed tranny.
I bought it used at a good price.
I came with Max Tow (20" wheels), but no tow mirrors. Cost me over $600.00 to add them and they are aftermarket not OEM!
The GVWR is only 7000 lb.
The Max Payload on this truck is only 1600 lb! So the lbs add up when you start adding options.

I do get 20-22 mpg on the highway and I will let you know what MPG is gets towing our small Sonic out west this weekend.
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wing_zealot wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:
I currently have a 2011 F150 heavy, SCREW, long bed, w/3.5 EB w/3.73 gears. I have over 200,000n miles. I just finished going over Chief Joseph Highway, Beartooth Highway, up the west side of 14A in the Bighorns pulling my TT. I may loose a bit of mpg when not towing but I love the grunt when I am towing. When I reorder, it will be a similar vehicle.
I don't have a problem eating up my brakes. I have never smelled hot brakes on my truck either.
The truck still looks good and runs great, so I don;t plan on a new one soon.

Under 6-7k lb, I think the 3.5 ecoboost is a great option. Of course, the old NA model was rated for that much (all be it with slower acceleration and slower in the mountains). With a trailer clocking in with a GVWR of 3700lb, I would expect it to do great and you really aren't taxing the motor much while towing.

I'm curious to see some of the early year ecoboosts that regularly tow up near the 10k lb range for significant miles (not just an occasional weekend 100 miles away). How are those holding up when pushed to the rating limits. I still suspect, this type of user is so rare that Ford can talk it's way out of failures blaming them on the owner and it really won't hurt the motor's reputation.