cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed rail clearance

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been towing our 5th wheel now for over a year and a half and finally got around to measuring the distance between the bed rails and the 5th wheel on a level surface. I have 5 1/2 inches and never had an issue plus it tows level. When I Googled it I found some say 5 inches is enough some say 6 or more. I only have one hole left in the 5th wheel hitch to gain 1 inch clearance but since I’ve never had an issue I’m not sure it’s worth doing. What is your clearance or opinion? Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have experienced is it also depends on how much side to side movement your hitch head allows you. I had a Reese 15K which was quite limited when it came to side to side motion and when the dealership set up the trailer, it only had about 4 inches of clearance on the rails. Never hit the bed rails because the motion was limited. I purchased a new truck and hitch, (Curt A16) and was very surprised at all the side to side movement this new hitch has and set up the clearance to almost 6 inches for the bed rails.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In general I prefer more clearance but if you have been a year without issue I imagine your fine at this point.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone’s advice. I think I’m just going to leave it the way it is. 🙂

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed 5th wheel rv and non rv trailers with short and long beds. I don't have a preference for 5 or 6 inches or bed length but what I've found is my short beds can get by with 5 inches or so. They simple don't stick back under the over hang as far as a long bed for the top end of the bed to make contact especially as the truck drops down say in a low water crossing/etc. Of course hitch location/pin box length can be a big player here.

And of course much depends on the terrain one uses.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheels are made to ride level why trade one perceived problem for an actual one of overloading the rear axles.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I'd prefer a little more, it's probably an issue of more hassle than it's worth to fix it if you haven't been having problems.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
That is about what I have and I don't even think about it. I have hit some dips in different cg's and never hit anything at all.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you have plenty for your use - but YMMV if you ever leave pavement. I have a couple more inches of rail clearance than you, and have hit a couple times on BLM/USFS roads.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the trailer is level, you're fine.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If after a yr and a half, no issue, I'd leave it. as towing level is a good thing. In my experience, with several FWs, and bed rail clearance varying, I've had times when 5-6 inches would not be enough. Kind of like backing short, it is just a good idea to be mindful of clearance, under more extreme conditions.

Jerry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would change nothing. Mine is right about 6" and never has come close, even over some pretty uneven surfaces.