cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are truck/trailer rims a weak link?

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
After reading a lot of information in regard to weights and towing on this forum I was crawling around my F350 srw looking at weight ratings for the various components on my truck. I have 3750 per tire, and 3640 per rim (both aftermarket). My heaviest scale ticket shows 6120 on my drive axle, which is under the 7280 weight rating of my rims: when you think about the pounding that happens driving down the road, how often does the weight exceed the rating of the rims?

I have broken several rear rims and 1 front rim over my lifetime, but I have chalked them up to when I de-bead tires, or rock strikes doing stupid stuff driving to places probably above the trucks paygrade.

Now wondering if highway travel and heavy trailers could be part of the problem. How frequently do rims fail?
17 REPLIES 17

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
This was a fear of mine, and we took a few short trips knowing that we were overloaded on the rear tires/rims. With retirement near, providing more and longer travels.....we upgraded to 19.5โ€ tires/rims. weโ€™re now rated well above anything that the tires/rims will ever see. That modification also allowed us to go with a more narrow tire, which works better for us when traveling on ice/snow or off-road use! If running unloaded, the truck is a little โ€œsquirrellyโ€, but when loaded.....โ€rock steadyโ€! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've seen, most 1/2 tons come with cast aluminium wheels and the 3/4 ton and up have forged wheels. There should be no issues with the forged wheels and of course the steel wheels just bend before failing.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
There's plenty of stuff I spend time worrying about. This isn't it. The wheels are much stronger than the tires around them.
That's exactly what I was thinking also, but the OP has already broken 3 (or more). That is beyond an anomaly.

I don't normally rock crawl when I tow my trailer!

Aluminum is a poor material when it comes to using it in extreme conditions for rims. Magneesium is even worse.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah rims can be the weak link, just like tires driveline, whatever.
No unless youโ€™re extremely unlucky or horse whippin your rig, itโ€™s not normal to break rims. Steel or aluminum.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
I work doing traveling construction, dragging our office/tool trailer with me. Usually weight is just under 24k, which is our max tagged weight. I average about 95k miles a year, 2 or 3 sets of tires on average.

On vacation a large percentage of destinations wind up on logging or fire roads. Mostly kayaking, hiking and a little climbing. So my tires and wheels see a lot of bad surfaces.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The shiny rims on my trailer say Made in China and 55psi Max although I put metal valve stems on them when I mounted the goodyears last week. Luckily 55psi works for my gross.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Fstmvrerik wrote:
After reading a lot of information in regard to weights and towing on this forum I was crawling around my F350 srw looking at weight ratings for the various components on my truck. I have 3750 per tire, and 3640 per rim (both aftermarket). My heaviest scale ticket shows 6120 on my drive axle, which is under the 7280 weight rating of my rims: when you think about the pounding that happens driving down the road, how often does the weight exceed the rating of the rims?

I have broken several rear rims and 1 front rim over my lifetime, but I have chalked them up to when I de-bead tires, or rock strikes doing stupid stuff driving to places probably above the trucks paygrade.

Now wondering if highway travel and heavy trailers could be part of the problem. How frequently do rims fail?

RV folks don't travel much vs those that make a living on the road so they see/have little experience with wheel issues.
This question is a fairly common issue on haulers forums I frequent. Some haulers may put 80k-100k miles a year on their trucks and trailers so they see more and are subjected to more issues with wheels (steel or aluminum).
When I hauled I ran only steel wheels on my trucks and trailers. I've had busted out centers/cracked valleys and split bead seats from over wheel pressure ratings.

JMO but most rv folks carry weight inside their trucks GVWR numbers....other rv folks seem to understand how to safely carry weight determined by their trucks rawr numbers. So overloading a wheel isn't a big issue on rv websites.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Method Racing Wheels makes a 17" & 18" rim rated at 4500 lbs each.
Method 305 NV HD
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
There's plenty of stuff I spend time worrying about. This isn't it. The wheels are much stronger than the tires around them.
That's exactly what I was thinking also, but the OP has already broken 3 (or more). That is beyond an anomaly.

Some folks can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
twodownzero wrote:

Good to see ya back!
And an unexpected response from the chief of the weight police!
Have you been enlightened?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been driving about 65 years and have cracked 1 aluminum wheel and it was on my Mercedes years ago. Trailers, DP, Cs, Bs, all kinds of cars and trucks rode hard and put away wet----1 wheel hit a deep pot hole!!!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree...Dick Cepek taught that with my first purchase from him. Wanted alloy wheels for the dune buggy and called him (he used to advertise in the back of one of the off readers magazines

Then for the 1973 K5 Blazer, ordered the delete back to min stock tires and wheels...drove down there as a breaking and new tires/wheels. He remembered me and we talked about alloys again. Decided on steel after all of his cautionary points described me.

Alloys crack when they struck boulders at slow, crawling speeds. Steel will bend and hammer it back with a ball peen hammer.

Old-Biscuit wrote:
Other than some serious off-road/rock climbing I have never broken a rim, truck or trailer

Have bent one rock crawling when I slip down but didn't break the tire bead

But then I don't run aluminum rims.....steel only
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...