Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Are truck/trailer rims a weak link?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Are truck/trailer rims a weak link?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fstmvrerik

Salina, Ks.

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading a lot of information in regard to weights and towing on this forum I was crawling around my F350 srw looking at weight ratings for the various components on my truck. I have 3750 per tire, and 3640 per rim (both aftermarket). My heaviest scale ticket shows 6120 on my drive axle, which is under the 7280 weight rating of my rims: when you think about the pounding that happens driving down the road, how often does the weight exceed the rating of the rims?

I have broken several rear rims and 1 front rim over my lifetime, but I have chalked them up to when I de-bead tires, or rock strikes doing stupid stuff driving to places probably above the trucks paygrade.

Now wondering if highway travel and heavy trailers could be part of the problem. How frequently do rims fail?

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cracked 2 rims as well. Both were Alcoa dually wheels, but I was regularly overloading them by about 500 pounds each. No doubt the overweight condition was a factor, but I also travel on a lot of rough terrain.

I wouldn't worry about dynamic loading. That's already factored into the engineered ratings. But I never realized the rating on my Alcoas could be an issue, because the weight rating was inside the rim on the tire side, so I never saw it until I cracked one and had the tire off.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than some serious off-road/rock climbing I have never broken a rim, truck or trailer

Have bent one rock crawling when I slip down but didn't break the tire bead

But then I don't run aluminum rims.....steel only

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rating is based on dynamic loading...so they already have you hitting normal bumps.

Now if you hit a curb or rock...or you have a blow out and the rim hits the pavement hard all bets are off but a higher rated rim is unlikely to help.

Just running down the road nothing unusual, I've never heard of a rim failing (not that you should overload them).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree...Dick Cepek taught that with my first purchase from him. Wanted alloy wheels for the dune buggy and called him (he used to advertise in the back of one of the off readers magazines

Then for the 1973 K5 Blazer, ordered the delete back to min stock tires and wheels...drove down there as a breaking and new tires/wheels. He remembered me and we talked about alloys again. Decided on steel after all of his cautionary points described me.

Alloys crack when they struck boulders at slow, crawling speeds. Steel will bend and hammer it back with a ball peen hammer.

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Other than some serious off-road/rock climbing I have never broken a rim, truck or trailer

Have bent one rock crawling when I slip down but didn't break the tire bead

But then I don't run aluminum rims.....steel only

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been driving about 65 years and have cracked 1 aluminum wheel and it was on my Mercedes years ago. Trailers, DP, Cs, Bs, all kinds of cars and trucks rode hard and put away wet----1 wheel hit a deep pot hole!!!

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's plenty of stuff I spend time worrying about. This isn't it. The wheels are much stronger than the tires around them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

There's plenty of stuff I spend time worrying about. This isn't it. The wheels are much stronger than the tires around them.

Good to see ya back!
And an unexpected response from the chief of the weight police!
Have you been enlightened?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking also, but the OP has already broken 3 (or more). That is beyond an anomaly.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking also, but the OP has already broken 3 (or more). That is beyond an anomaly.

Some folks can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Are truck/trailer rims a weak link?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.