cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

valve stems for TPMS

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon everyone. So I have been doing research (and posting questions on forums) regarding getting a TPMS for my trailer. I have settled on the TST 507 system, but am now wondering if it is worth the cost of getting the rubber valve stems replaced with metal ones to use the flow thru sensors? To have a single display and more info I am also considering have the tow vehicle done as well (even thought it already has a TPMS built in, but only shows current PSI). The cost to swap out the trailer valves is ~$70 and the tow vehicle valves is ~$130.

All said and done I'm looking at 10 tires as I figure I would want to know the status of spares as well (at least to know they are full - my TV spare was down 15 PSI the other day, but it had not been checked in a while)

Thoughts on swapping out the rubber valve stems for metal?

Does anyone have experience with both the cap and flow thru? Are the flow thru that much more convenient to warrant the cost of swapping out the rubber valve stems with metal?

Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Raife wrote:
Thank you. I didn't realize it was a charge...I thought it needed constant power.

Yes, makes it much easier and nearer to have on the dash.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I didn't realize it was a charge...I thought it needed constant power.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rubber valve stems being bad is an old wives tale.
Or more accurately , a thing of the past.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the newer Vehicle TPMS valve stems are high pressure stems. meaning they have a metal core inside the rubber stem. this makes them very strong. I have the same type stems on my 13 Explorer and I run the TST 507 cap sensors with no issues. the trailer is the only thing you would need to swap out the stems on.

The monitor can run for 4 or 5 days without a charge. If you did hardwire it you would need to get a USB outlet to plug it into It comes with a USB adapter to plug into a 12V accessory outlet, so no direct hardwiring. I just charge it before every trip. we went to CO. for a week and charged it before we left and then once on the 4th day just to charge it. we did 5 days driving with an average of 7 hours a day.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Dodge Durango

I ran my dash cam and radar detector straight to the fuse box and used fuse tap pigtails and grounded them to an engine mount.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your tow vehicle?
There's a company that makes a pigtail that connects to your rear view mirror and provides power and ground for an accessory.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
Raife wrote:
Actually - followup...has anyone hardwired the unit to an ignition-switched fuse in the TV fusebox?

Probably the only way to do it.
You will need the repeater module, since the trailer wheels would be a long way from the TPMS module.

What I meant was has anyone hardwired the display in the cab to the TV battery. The repeater will be hooked up to the trailer battery.

I have already hardwired my dash cam and my radar detector. My 770 is currently using my "lighter" socket and I can't fit a double "lighter" socket adapter.

So I started to think about hard wiring the TPMS display.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
The in tire sensors are the best.
True tire temp readings and no valve stem issues.
Yeah, work great until you need new batteries. I have the metal stems and no issues, and honestly I'm more concerned with tire pressure than tire temperature. Wouldn't have an internal tire sensor.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raife wrote:
Actually - followup...has anyone hardwired the unit to an ignition-switched fuse in the TV fusebox?

Probably the only way to do it.
You will need the repeater module, since the trailer wheels would be a long way from the TPMS module.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The in tire sensors are the best.
True tire temp readings and no valve stem issues.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto those that said get metal valve stems regardless of what type of TPMS you get. From what I've read the rubber stems will not hold up over the long haul and you'll start getting pressure loss through them. This is what has held me back from getting a TPMS for my trailer. I won't do it until I can get the valve stems changed from rubber to metal.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

Just what I needed to know.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I second the not purchasing the flow through senders, and going with the regular sender caps. And would not spend the money for the tow vehicle added senders, just the trailer. But I would remove the rubber stems and replace with metal stems for the security of having them not flex and possible snap off with the sensor on the end of the rubber.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible