cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge 1500b van

Char62
Explorer
Explorer
Are these good vans,,I’m going to look at one tomorrow is there anything I should be careful and look into...I’m a single lady and old..5.2 engine...
15 REPLIES 15

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
You guys could muck up any thread.
A simple “ we need to know what van you’re talking about” rather than a trip down Mopar memory lane would be more appropriate.
But the OP is likely flown the coop anyway, so keep practicing your classic Mopar knowledge contest....

:B:B
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well they asked the question in the tow vehicles forum. And they asked specifically about a 1500B van. To me that says standard pass or conv van.

As grit dog said, “way to muck up a thread!”
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is in Alabama, so hopefully if they are looking at a van that has been in the south all of its life, it may be OK as far as rust goes.

OP needs to provide us with more information, is this for towing a trailer? or is this a camper conversion van of some sort.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You guys could muck up any thread.
A simple “ we need to know what van you’re talking about” rather than a trip down Mopar memory lane would be more appropriate.
But the OP is likely flown the coop anyway, so keep practicing your classic Mopar knowledge contest....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
I assume this is around a 90's vintage maybe? Those automatic transmissions were not the best. Dodge has never been known for good automatics.

Your statement is a little too reaching. Mopar had the best 3 speed RWD transmissions on the road but started having trouble with 4 speed and FWD transmissions around 1980.

At one time my family had 4 Chrysler Newports for trailer pulling. They did as well as or better than any truck on the road at the time and we never had transmission any issues. I will never forget the time shortly after I started driving when I heard some strange noises coming out from under the hood of my 1967 Plymouth and thought that it was the transmission. I took it to a transmission shop and the owner refused to come out look at the car. He made the statement "Chrysler transmissions don't fail, I make my living off of GM." He was correct, it turned out to be the alternator.

Okay, yes, I guess "never" was a bit too broad. The 727 was for sure a good one. I just thought we were talking about fairly modern '80s, '90s, or newer vans with 4 speed overdrive automatics. If the OP is truly looking at a 40 year old van then it's hard to say what kind of condition any of it is in. Since they've never posted the year or any other details we may never know.

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
A more than 20 year old van as a tow vehicle isn’t a wise buy. What’s the payload and gross trailer weight max numbers?

could this van maybe be a class B camper van, and not for towing much? I'm thinking class B camper!.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I never liked that 5.2L, or the transmission used in that era. Can you afford a GM 5.3 or 6.0l van from early/mid 2000s?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
DODGE. Dem Old Dudes Go Everywhere. The old Tourqueflite transmission was the best ever made, strong as an ox. The bodies are another story, rust is your enemy.
I had a Dodge van that the rear spring hanger came thru the floor because the mounts rusted.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
I assume this is around a 90's vintage maybe? Those automatic transmissions were not the best. Dodge has never been known for good automatics.

Your statement is a little too reaching. Mopar had the best 3 speed RWD transmissions on the road but started having trouble with 4 speed and FWD transmissions around 1980.

At one time my family had 4 Chrysler Newports for trailer pulling. They did as well as or better than any truck on the road at the time and we never had transmission any issues. I will never forget the time shortly after I started driving when I heard some strange noises coming out from under the hood of my 1967 Plymouth and thought that it was the transmission. I took it to a transmission shop and the owner refused to come out look at the car. He made the statement "Chrysler transmissions don't fail, I make my living off of GM." He was correct, it turned out to be the alternator.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
What year van? I had a 97 with the 5.9L and 46RE transmission. unless its a very early 90`s 4 speed they are pretty reliable transmissions. I think the 5.2L may have had the 44RE.

with that said, there are far more things to be concerned with. rust! brake lines and fuel lines. inspect the area around the steering box good. they tend to rust around there badly to the point the gear box will come loose. everything else is dependent on how it was taken care of.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a 727? We don't know the year of the van. I though a 727 was a 3 speed. I would think most vans that are still on the road would have a 4 speed?

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let them scare you off with transmission talk. 727 automatic is as good a transmission as they come. I would be more worried about the floor in a B series van of that vintage.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It will be as good as any 20 year old vehicle theoretically.
Whether it is good to you or not is solely dependent on miles, condition, maint and repair records, how often it’s been driven, what it was used for, how it was stored and where it was driven (rust).
Presuming you don’t know much about vehicles or you wouldn’t be asking.
The absolute best thing to do is take some one with you who can determine and understand the things I listed above.
Then realize that regardless of what the asking price is, it’s only worth a couple grand.
Then know that no matter how nice it is, it’s old and be prepared to spend as much or more than the purchase price in repairs and maintenance.
This is the big one.
Presuming whatever you look at is in good shape, you should be looking for the one that has a page long list of parts replaced reasonably recently. One that’s “never needed anything” and runs great WILL need the list of parts soon based solely on age at the best case and all the other stuff as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A more than 20 year old van as a tow vehicle isn’t a wise buy. What’s the payload and gross trailer weight max numbers?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad