Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Dodge 1500b van
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge 1500b van

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Tim Nowicki

Alden NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

A more than 20 year old van as a tow vehicle isn’t a wise buy. What’s the payload and gross trailer weight max numbers?

could this van maybe be a class B camper van, and not for towing much? I'm thinking class B camper!.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

I assume this is around a 90's vintage maybe? Those automatic transmissions were not the best. Dodge has never been known for good automatics.

Your statement is a little too reaching. Mopar had the best 3 speed RWD transmissions on the road but started having trouble with 4 speed and FWD transmissions around 1980.

At one time my family had 4 Chrysler Newports for trailer pulling. They did as well as or better than any truck on the road at the time and we never had transmission any issues. I will never forget the time shortly after I started driving when I heard some strange noises coming out from under the hood of my 1967 Plymouth and thought that it was the transmission. I took it to a transmission shop and the owner refused to come out look at the car. He made the statement "Chrysler transmissions don't fail, I make my living off of GM." He was correct, it turned out to be the alternator.

Okay, yes, I guess "never" was a bit too broad. The 727 was for sure a good one. I just thought we were talking about fairly modern '80s, '90s, or newer vans with 4 speed overdrive automatics. If the OP is truly looking at a 40 year old van then it's hard to say what kind of condition any of it is in. Since they've never posted the year or any other details we may never know.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys could muck up any thread.
A simple “ we need to know what van you’re talking about” rather than a trip down Mopar memory lane would be more appropriate.
But the OP is likely flown the coop anyway, so keep practicing your classic Mopar knowledge contest....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP is in Alabama, so hopefully if they are looking at a van that has been in the south all of its life, it may be OK as far as rust goes.

OP needs to provide us with more information, is this for towing a trailer? or is this a camper conversion van of some sort.

Charles

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well they asked the question in the tow vehicles forum. And they asked specifically about a 1500B van. To me that says standard pass or conv van.

As grit dog said, “way to muck up a thread!”

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You guys could muck up any thread.
A simple “ we need to know what van you’re talking about” rather than a trip down Mopar memory lane would be more appropriate.
But the OP is likely flown the coop anyway, so keep practicing your classic Mopar knowledge contest....

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge 1500b van
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.