cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Stuff is in Your Truck Camper

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been unloading our almost nine year old AF1150 as we are trading it in.

Over 13 large totes of stuff. And that is not including the blankets, backrests, pillows, three closets and two hampers worth of clothes, the longer stuff like an ax, broom, umbrellas and hiking poles. Nor does this include the food from either the shelfs or the refrigerator.

Amazing. Add in the stuff in the crew cab truck and it is no wonder we weigh so much.
14 REPLIES 14

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Don't know what it all is, but 839 pounds of stuff. That's over and above water, propane, etc. So the stuff is food, grill, charcoal, the wife, clothes, stocked fridge, boots, towels, washcloths, bed topper, sheets, blankets, pillows, dishes, tv, batteries, inverter, 4 solar panels, blah blah blah.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Bedlam
Once a year I repack. Otherwise, I bring whatever fits and do not worry about it. I just moved the clothes washer to the trailer to free up space for my pole saw and folding ladder in the basement...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

I haven't started loading my newer AF yet.

What new truck camper did you get?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
brholt wrote:
I have been unloading our almost nine year old AF1150 as we are trading it in.

I just did the same with my 11 year old 811. It went away on someone else's truck on Friday.

I haven't started loading my newer AF yet.

There's a lot of stuff that is NOT going in the new one. I'm sorting through and "eliminating" stuff that hasn't been used recently.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I try to keep it light and easy, so I have separate everything for the camper, so I don't have to pack and unpack much. But I try to keep it to a minimum. Clothes, hats, and footwear for all seasons, books, umbrellas, tools, minimal cookware, disposable plates and silverware, spices, pam, and other non perishable food, as well as towels and toiletries stay in there, I have to have charging cords, and a computer printer, bedding, and electric heater, and one "junk drawer" with tape and scissors and misc. When I get home, dirty stuff goes in the laundry, then right back out to the camper. In the outside compartments: lawn chairs, hoses, oil, trans fluid, spare parts, etc. I filter thru at least once a year and get rid of stuff I don't use. Also, it takes all of my willpower not to accumulate souvenirs and trinkets while traveling.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

We have the necessary kitchen items. 3 pants, 6 of everything else. There's always canned foods then we reload everything when we head out. Fishing stuff, chairs, cameras. I try to apply two rules. KISS and GIGO.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that is a lot of stuff.

We pack and unpack for every trip, and clean afterwards. Everything is loaded just for that specific trip. We really only carry the necessities. Food is planned and measured out in advance.

Just a few clean blankets, towels, backpacks, some toiletries, plus tools, some emergency stuff, and some cards and such always stay in the TC.
All food and clothing always come out. We are not "accumulators".
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW sorting through the stuff we took out of the trailer when we sold it....not including BBQ, chairs, blue tote, water carriers, tool boxes, etc etc.

Significantly less storage in this Lance 811 than we had in our 34' Terry Quantum.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I load up the camper the same way I load up my backpack. Aside from tools to fix stuff the only permanent gear are 2 pots, 2 skillets, one splatter screen, 4 plates and bowls, silverware, 2 coffee mugs, stove top expresso machine. two sets of towels for us and 3 dog towels 8 rolls of TP. leveling legos, axe, hand saw Even on trips most of the cabinets are half empty. two trips of non use and I toss it.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much really since I unpack after every trip. I like to have just the necessities like clothes, some cooking ware, emergency supplies and equipment, some tools, and whatever I’m bringing for fishing or hiking or doing geology fieldwork (usually all of the above). Even so, it can get sort of crowded, so I always try to figure out what I could have left home for next time!
“It’s all in the reflexes.”
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Haha, you think thats bad. We just sold our 12 year old 5th wheel and camper at the same time.Too many boxes to count. How do we accumulate so much stuff lol.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a truck camper, but a smaller TT that we had from 2003 to 2019 and it had gathered a lot of stuff over the years! In the end, we really only had to deal with food and dirty clothes between trips which was nice.

Took almost 2 days to clear it out and clean before we traded it in for the new Rockwood..

Had so much stuff that we had forgotten about! Oh well, new start with the new one and it's already stuffed!

I like it that way.

Yes, you gather a lot of stuff over the years..

That's why I laugh at the newbies that say they "pack light" and don't haul any water or other stuff... ha, ha...

Give it a few years... You'll all have all the stuff loaded up over time!

I am even seeing 'tent' campers taking full hookup sites and plugging in, using the water like it was endless! Mini fridges and AC units are becoming more and more seen in the tents! So there you go! Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We pack every trip which is good and bad. We don't leave much in it, but sometimes forget stuff.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I carry an extra kitchen sink...just in case.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad