Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water pump

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
looking for some wisdom.

i have a 2010 Cougar 29' 5th Wheeler. the water pump makes some terrible noises when i turn it on.
i want to check it out but i have no idea where to find it. sounds like it is on the same side of the rig as the kitchen sink, the toilet, and the fridge.
in a prior rig(an older Class A)i found it under the bed in the rear.

can somebody point me in the right direction as to where it mite be located?
13 REPLIES 13

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2006 Cougar its under the kitchen cabinet. There are two drawers as I enter the door. If I pull both of those I can see the pump. Mine is also noisy as the water lines are a little tight up against the kitchen sink drain pipes so it all rattles.
I've intended to replace and lengthen those water lines. Maybe even place some foam between the two. It's on my someday list of things to do.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
the old BMW bike is done.. .

so today i got the wife to help me with turning the pump on and off while i hunt the noise down. it seems to be under a cover inside the cabin. the cover is located on the drivers side by the rear window. it seems to be bolted to the floor from underneath the cabin,. so i need to drop the under seal layer to access the bolts to the cover to be able to accees the pump to be able to quiet the noise.

damned engineers!!!!

thx for all the pointers.
since it is functioning now, this may not get fixed b4 the next trip out of town. anybody ever been cruising thru WA in early NOV? how was the weather?

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
thanx folks.
lots of good ideas.
i will start my hunt as soon as a get a head start on some engine work that has a higher priority this weekend.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Another one that is behind the basement wall. Sorta under the bedroom steps, in my case behind the hydraulic brake pump.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said .. follow the noise. And BTW - water pumps tend to be very noisy and there are plenty of threads (use forum search feature) which provide various methods to make them less of a problem.
Kevin

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow the pipes. The pump should not be far from the FW tank. The pump is something that can be expected to fail at some point therefore should be in a reasonably accessible location.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
mine is also behind the basement wall in the front storage compartment, curb side. There's a small black plastic cover hanging over a maybe 6" hole to access the winterizing hose and valve. The wall comes down with a few screws for easy access to the pump and plumbing.

I quieted mine down significantly with "pool noodle" type insulation tubes around all the hoses within reach that might vibrate against anything, as well as remounting the pump on a piece of closed cell foam (garden knee pad cut to fit).
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've seen them in all kinds of places.

Have someone turn it on and follow the sound. That should put you within a couple feet of the location...then just look around and follow the hoses.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is behind the basement wall

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like the pump is working so you really don't need to find it. Go to where the noise is. Run some water to make the pump run. Reach into wherever the noise is and start grabbing water lines. One of them is likely vibrating against something. When you grab the right one the noise will stop. You can put a rag in between the pipe and whatever it is vibrating against temporarily. Better fix would be a piece of pipe insulation.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

servitrike
Explorer
Explorer
my under sink cabinet is a big empty space.
but i will look again.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its under the kitchen sink in our Arctic Fox. I brought a spare pump along to use to pump water from water carboys into the drinking water tank. Of course the installed pump died one afternoon but I was ready, an easy install I did change the orientation of the pump to make it easier to work on. I had to cut the rubber feet away from the old pump since the screw heads were too corroded to unscrew. I used corrosion resistant screws on the new pump.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd think that if it makes so much noise, you should be able to at least pin point the 'general' location of it??

On my old Prowler, it was under the kitchen sink cabinet. On my new Rockwood, it's all the way in the back in the bathroom, inside a lower cabinet and about as far away from the fresh water tank as it can be!

It's pretty quiet overall, but since the bedroom is up front, you can hardly hear it in the middle of night if used..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.