cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you really need?

paulfredricks
Explorer
Explorer
We are camper shopping. Have seen a few that have a GVWR of over 9000 lbs. That is too much for our tow vehicle. But then I see the dry weight is around 6500. The cargo capacity is around 3,000 lbs. We would never carry anywhere near that since we camp at full service campgrounds and don't need to haul around a lot of liquid, and we pack light anyway.

Should the GVWR be the deciding factor here? Or should some reasonable estimate on possible towing weight be more appropriate?
2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali
19 REPLIES 19

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would dare postulate that they're overloaded because they're towing trailers with ridiculously low CCC's. Many popups and single axle travel trailers are straining their GVWR's before you even put a 6 pack in the fridge.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, maybe 50 to 60 percent overweight came from Escapee's Smart Weigh Folks in an article they published a while back.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard anyone say they had too much truck. What ever you buy will gain weight just like we do, the older the more gained, unless you spring clean. Then out with everything I have not used in 3 months.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
We tend to store a lot of our outdoor/camping/hunting/etc. stuff in the trailer year round. I don't use that bone saw or block and tackle while we're camping but it's still in the camper, and that way I have it in the fall when I'm hunting. I also only travel with full fresh tanks. I also don't overthink this stuff and haven't ever run any of my setups over a scale. My approach is just my approach and if you're more careful about loading up extra stuff or keeping track of weights you can get by with a lower cargo capacity and smaller truck.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If a person is that concerned about weight that planning what gets brought what gets left home is a concern then that person either does not understand vehicles, does not have experience towing and/or is about to overload something and just “asking for a friend”....
In any of those cases, stop measuring how much milk your going to take and whether the propane is full or half full and just make sure your setup fits within the plethora of generally conservative recommended limits of both the vehicle and trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
I think using the GVWR is still the best number to use, especially when you consider the like 60 per cent are overloaded.

I went by GVWR, when I purchased all three of my trailers. If I can tow up to GVWR with my tow vehicle and stay within all parameters, then I know Im good.

Where did you come up with 60% are overloaded? Or is that a guess?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on what you mean by "Dry Weight". Are you talking Brochure weights or actual scaled weight as it leaves the Factory??
Our current unit left the Factory 1000 Lbs more than the Brochure weight and on one of the RV Sales shows recently they had a question about the average cargo people carry, and the answer was 2000 Lbs, it really adds up quick.
I think using the GVWR is still the best number to use, especially when you consider the like 60 per cent are overloaded.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I always recommend keeping the GVWR within the tow rating.

My thoughts as well.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Should the GVWR be the deciding factor here? Or should some reasonable estimate on possible towing weight be more appropriate?

When buying a RV or a non rv trailer I use the trailer dry weight and take a look at GVWR.

I always weigh a new or new to me trailers axles before loading it. That way I know how much weight were adding on average.

Use you own judgement for a particular unit as they all have different CCC and we all don't carry the same necessary "JUNK" 🙂
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Don't buy anything you can overload."
Words of wisdom by sjm9911.
Pull something your tow vehicle can handle.
If you want to tow heavy things then get a bigger truck.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always recommend keeping the GVWR within the tow rating.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
When you are shopping, check to see what is included or not included in the Dry / UVW. Battery(ies). These would also have a big impact on tongue weight.
Do different manufacturers use different criteria, use the weight of base unit, NO options. Or do they actually weigh each unit when It comes off the line. There could be several hundred pounds different before starting to load your things.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
How far are you planning to travel, and what kind of drive do you want? I've been under trucked, under powered, about right and more than I need. I sure like more than I need. Your choice.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

paulfredricks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

We don't have a new camper yet, just figuring out what we need.

We did unload the old camper and it's all in boxes. I am going to weigh everything and see what we used to carry. I know a new camper that's bigger will carry a bit more in theory.
2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali