cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Time For Six Months

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I completed my first six months living in an RV full time about 1 week ago. I will write some thoughts about the experience in case someone wants to hear about it and I will try to answer any questions.

I am 64 and I retired 2 years ago because nobody wanted to hire old, expensive programmers in Dallas. I had planned to live in an RV and travel for several years and had read a lot of threads here to gain some knowledge.

My goal was to be able to travel and see some new areas of the country to try to pick a better place to retire. I've said it before, Dallas is a nice place to work, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I did not follow some of the advice here and I changed my mind drastically on what I wanted in an RV. I believe a truck + bumper pull is the cheapest choice for a large living area. It's me and my wife and I would want something about 35 feet long to be comfortable, which is a lot to pull behind a truck.

But as I compared options I decided a Class A motorhome plus toad would be easier and that I could afford it in my retirement budget. I found a model that is about the same price as a Class C of the same size considering the driving area can be used as living space, too. I also decided to go all new, which is not what most recommend for a first RV purchase. I have been happy with my choice.

I bought a 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R and I paid $80,499 plus tax. I had to go to Florida to get the best price, but I was out of the country so I just changed my return flight to Florida and rented a car to drive to Jacksonville where I bought it.

The Intent 30R was the best floorplan for us and I trust the Winnebago name. It is not perfect, there are a lot of things I wish were different, but I still think it is the best motorhome for me at a reasonable price.

The Intent is their economical entry level Class A. There were not many Intent 30R available new or used across the country. I didn't want the hassle of shopping around used vehicles and hiring someone to inspect them. I also didn't want a lot of hidden problems. The new Winnebago hasn't been perfect, but I haven't had many big problems.

I bought a new Jeep Wrangler to tow behind it and I was able to install a baseplate by myself, but it wasn't easy and I almost gave up several times. But I got it done, I know it's done right, and I probably saved over $1,000 doing it myself.

I can post more about our travels later, if there is enough interest.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
17 REPLIES 17

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I will give a (not so) quick recap of my travels so far in my first 6 months. I will just add it to this thread because the ones here who expressed an interest in reading about my travels may see it here and the others may not care anyway.

I returned to the USA from 6 months abroad on a flight to Florida mid-March 2020. I bought my new motorhome in Jacksonville, Florida. That's funny because tonight I am in Jacksonville, Texas. And, despite his flaws, Andrew Jackson is one of my favorite Presidents because he is the only President who ever paid off the national debt. Lots of them promise to do it. Old Hickory did it.

I came back to Dallas quickly to pick up some things from storage. I then headed south and planned to travel around south Texas, but that was in April and the Covid panic was shutting down a lot of state and federal campgrounds. So I rented a spot in a nice campground in Georgetown, Texas.

After a month there it started getting warmer so I made plans to head north. I wanted to buy a Jeep Wrangler and flat tow it behind me, but despite the economic crisis Jeep was not discounting their Wranglers much. They said they were great deals, but they really weren't. I ran out of time before I could buy one so I headed north with just the motorhome.

We traveled back through Dallas to get a few more things out of storage. I had reserved sites at a number of Oklahoma state parks for our journey to northwest Arkansas. That part of Arkansas besides being beautiful mountain scenery has cooler temps than the surrounding areas. Oklahoma was one of the few states that did not shut down some or all of its state parks. Texas caved in.

We stayed there (in Springdale) for over 3 months and it is beautiful and the hottest days were 95 degrees and only about 2 of them compared to 18 100 degree (and up) days in a typical Dallas summer. So I was happy about that. While we were there I bought a Jeep Wrangler and got it set up to tow back south with us in September.

That's where we are now. We looped briefly up into Missouri then back into Oklahoma over to Amarillo and then east and south through Dallas and now east Texas. Starting Sunday we will spend about 14 days on the beaches of Texas, but not actually on the sand. I have reserved state and private parks along the beach that have paved roads with electric and water.

As I'm traveling I try to keep my driving to about 7 hours per week. I get weary after a couple of hours driving. It's too much like a job for me. We stay at parks for 1 or 2 nights along the way. I usually don't think there is that much to see in one place, but sometimes it is a little rushed.

Anyway, the cost of gasoline, the repairs that appear on my to do list faster than they disappear, the parks that have no or poor mobile data (internet), the drudgery of keeping the beast in her lane on the highway, the gray water tank that keeps filling up faster and faster, the rush (sometimes) to unhook and get back on the road, are making me question how much longer I want to do this.

I'm going to put off any decisions until March because if I sell this rig I probably won't do it again. I will talk to my wife next year and we will decide if we do this another year or not. I don't regret what we've done so far; I've learned some things about this country, small towns, and me. I'm retired and I wanted to give this a try and I'm glad I did. Almost every park and city has had something beautiful and or interesting to see. By March I may be ready to do it again.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Mr.Mark wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Ford V8 engine? I think mine has a Triton V-10. Maybe the confusion is that Winnebago built this 2020 Intent on a 2019 Ford F-53 chassis. That caused some confusion for my insurance agent, too, when I gave them the VIN. Anyway, the motor gets the job done, but it struggles going uphill.

As for posting about our travels, I'll try to put together a summary this week. I've been busy because we are traveling and when we get somewhere new we try to find some time to visit the surroundings so I haven't had a lot of free time this month.

Hello Steve,

Since I didn't know the particulars of a 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R, I looked it up.
This ad said the 2020 Intent had the 7.3L V8.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Winnebago-Intent-30R-5013371536

Safe travels and enjoy your new coach!
Mark

That's what your link says and it may be correct. My rig shows as a 2020 with a 2019 Ford F-53 and the V-10 Triton. Maybe they switched over mid-year or maybe the dealer made a mistake. Tomorrow I will double check my motor.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Ford V8 engine? I think mine has a Triton V-10. Maybe the confusion is that Winnebago built this 2020 Intent on a 2019 Ford F-53 chassis. That caused some confusion for my insurance agent, too, when I gave them the VIN. Anyway, the motor gets the job done, but it struggles going uphill.

As for posting about our travels, I'll try to put together a summary this week. I've been busy because we are traveling and when we get somewhere new we try to find some time to visit the surroundings so I haven't had a lot of free time this month.

Hello Steve,

Since I didn't know the particulars of a 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R, I looked it up.
This ad said the 2020 Intent had the 7.3L V8.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Winnebago-Intent-30R-5013371536

Safe travels and enjoy your new coach!
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve, congratulations on you and your wife's new life retirement adventure!

I know some of the folks here would want to hear about that new Ford V8 engine too!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you post more about your experiences, just consider there are hundreds of thousands of long term full timers. You need to have something unique and important to generate much interest.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to hear more about your 6 months. My husband talks a lot about heading out for months and I am apprehensive. We have 4 grandchildren so that explains a lot. Ha!!

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Dallas Steve, I would be interested in hearing the whole story as well. Thanks!
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I set off on our first full time trip in 2000. The plan was 6 months to a year to discover this great Country. Due to unexpected issues we had to call it quits after 6 months. However, we had such a good time we found a way to make a living on the road and we have been in an RV and traveling this great Country ever since.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
I think there's enough interest. Tell us your experiences and opinions, a lot of us will read your thread.
Not everyone who reads them will respond so, you won't know how many read what you posted.

The column next to replies titled views will give him that info.
Puma 30RKSS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
If it makes you happy and you can afford it, great choice.

But why would you need a 35ft travel trailer but only a 30ft motorhome? When you take into consideration the loss from the cockpit, you have a living area of maybe 23-25ft.

Also, how do you figure it's "easier"?

valhalla

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. Originally I was looking at travel trailers and the floorplans that fit my desires were about 35 feet. When I started looking at Class C the biggest floorplans were usually about 35 feet and they would work even though I would loose the driving area. As I think I mentioned one of the things I like about the Class A is the driving area can be used as part of the living area so a 31 foot Class A like mine is about equal to a 35 foot Class C. It still is smaller than a 35 foot trailer, but it feels comfortable to me and fits my budget.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I think there's enough interest. Tell us your experiences and opinions, a lot of us will read your thread.
Not everyone who reads them will respond so, you won't know how many read what you posted.

I'll second this post. I probably wouldn't have responded, but thought I would to add one more "read".
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the lifestyle change and Yes I'd like to hear more. I like your writing style as evidenced in the OP and i think that hearing of your experiences as a noob fulltimer while they are still fresh in your mind would be interesting. I'd even suggest a blog might be worthwhile.

re disregarding the hive mind here, its not about the Right Answer, its about what works for You.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If it makes you happy and you can afford it, great choice.

But why would you need a 35ft travel trailer but only a 30ft motorhome? When you take into consideration the loss from the cockpit, you have a living area of maybe 23-25ft.

Also, how do you figure it's "easier"?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV