cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PRICE DROPS coming on new GM small diesels

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this on Fox news, little 3 liter diesels getting a price drop.
GM
And they are adding the engine to some SUV's.
Anyone on the fence may want to peruse it.
14 REPLIES 14

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Something to throw out.
Depending upon Nov election results, CAFE numbers may go up. This diesel will give GM better numbers vs gas models. With a cost of $1000, that's maybe 40-50,000 miles if driving at most to pay for that option . Unlike the class 2hd, and 3 diesels.
Just throwing a possiblity out.

Marty

Meeting CAFE was my initial thought when I saw this post. Since GM and Ford dropped their higher MPG vehicles when they decided to stop making cars, they must be having a harder time meeting the CAFE guidelines without running into steep fines. Offering the higher MPG diesel engines might reduce their profits, but that is probably offset by better CAFE numbers and lower fines.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Had a read on the GM engine and it looks really interesting. One thing did give me a pause. The belt for the variable flow oil pump has to be changed every 150,000 miles. Changing it requires removing the transmission as well as the transfer case on 4WD's. Might be an issue for high mileage drivers.

And to top it off, the belt is running wet in the oil, and the 150K is simply an estimate that many auto technical experts do not believe it will make. This is what I read shortly after the engine was unveiled.

They put a timing chain in for the cams but could not see doing that for the oil pump, wth were they thinking.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

blt2ski
Something to throw out.
Depending upon Nov election results, CAFE numbers may go up. This diesel will give GM better numbers vs gas models. With a cost of $1000, that's maybe 40-50,000 miles if driving at most to pay for that option . Unlike the class 2hd, and 3 diesels.
Just throwing a possiblity out.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Ford's 3.0 diesel has a timing belt. As a victim of a car that had a timing belt BREAK, dropped a valve and destroyed the top end of a engine, no way I'd ever risk that again.

That was the reason that truck was immediately excluded when I made my last purchase.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give it time. Somebody will figure out how to replace the belt with a popsicle stick and a bottle opener.
Puma 30RKSS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the people I know trade a vehicle off before 100k miles. I'm the exception. Being available in a burb will be interesting how many order them.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Had a read on the GM engine and it looks really interesting. One thing did give me a pause. The belt for the variable flow oil pump has to be changed every 150,000 miles. Changing it requires removing the transmission as well as the transfer case on 4WD's. Might be an issue for high mileage drivers.

Thnx for posting that,
no way in H Id ever consider buying such loony design.

I don't know, 150K is a lot of miles for me. I'd also want to know what changing it would cost. Might not be a deal breaker if I really liked the truck.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

Thnx for posting that,
no way in H Id ever consider buying such loony design.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
The belt for the variable flow oil pump has to be changed every 150,000 miles. Changing it requires removing the transmission as well as the transfer case on 4WD's

That would be a deal breaker for me.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
After all the waiting and wondering and broo ha ha, I have yet to see a 3.0D GM, Over the past 2 years I've only seen 2 Ford 3.0 diesels.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:

I wonder how many gallons of gasoline you could buy for the cost of that operation? The way some people on here are about maintenance they would change it every 30,000 miles because they know that the factory maintenance intervals are excessively far apart.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It makes me wonder why a price drop on a new engine. Slow sales maybe?
Other GM engines use the same stupid belt arrangement, what engineer thought that up?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For a 4-5 year buyer/owner who trades at 60 - 100k miles, I doubt that will ever be an issue.
For the small percentage that go to the 10 year/150k mile point, it may matter, but it's far enough outside the warranty period that GM would consider it a positive if the truck held together to reach that point. In short, i dont believe it's a negative.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS