cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water lines

Blay
Explorer
Explorer
When blowing out water lines with a compressor what’s the secret to keeping constant regulated pressure thank you
12 REPLIES 12

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, I'm sure the lines will handle higher pressure, but it's simply not necessary just to drain the lines.

With properly functioning low point drains, simply opening the faucets and shower head does most the work for you. Running air will disrupt whatever air pockets might have formed and stopped gravity from doing its job.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Why?

The RV pipes can take 150 psi of water easily. Water does not compress, air does!

45 psi of air at the nozzle will not be 45 psi of air pressure once in the water pipe system, it will drop way lower because the pipes are way bigger than the air hose. If the water heater tank is empty then psi will drop way way down (maybe 5psi) and as long as there is no blockage on the downstream side of the pipe then air pressure will not build up much at all.

I would imagine you could blow in 300psi and nothing would happen, the drop in psi from 300 at the air nozzle to what it would be in the bigger longer water pipes would be enough of a drop to not be an issue.

Again, air will compress, unlike water that has nowhere to go, air will compress in itself so need nowhere to go.

Very likely your air compressor cannot give enough psi to do any damage to anything in your RV.

I do not recommend using a 100 gallon commercial 300 psi air compressor to blow out your air lines, but if you do then just do short burst of air, not a long steady flow of high psi air just to be safe, because i have not done testing with air in pipes, but I do know those same water pipes are used for these 300psi air compressors.

I guess the bigger concern is your faucets or the stop-valve on your water pump.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try to keep it below 30 PSI which is lower than most city water connections. You don't need that much pressure to blow them out, and a few remaining droplets won't hurt the fittings.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
Bypass the water heater, or you will need a lot of air.

Not if you drain it first. That is what I do and then use air to blow out the rest.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Yep. Set a pressure and call it good.

I use about 25 PSI.

Video showing how I do it
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I just set the compressor to 45 psi.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Bypass the water heater, or you will need a lot of air.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a portable air tank. I just put 40 PSI in it to blow out my lines. If I run out of air in the portable tank then I just fill it back up. I have a small TT but, it never takes more then 2 tanks.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using an RV Blow Out Plug to connect the air line to your water line?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A BIG tank.......with a regulator on it.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
A tank.

With a regulator on it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer