cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGE old AC question.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will my house current run my AC? Answered again for me just a few minutes ago.
Because you see when you forget to turn the AC off at the CG, and then a couple weeks later you need to cool the fridge. So you plug into the house. the AC instantly starts. It didn't hesitate, it didn't struggle. Just BAM and it was running full speed.

So yeah. the house current will run the AC. I already knew that. BTW. I've done it for 20 years on 3 different campers.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
12 REPLIES 12

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
rexlion, notice that Terry succeeded in running the a/c at ohm. Resistance is futile.

And Terry, I am glad that worked out for you. The first time I tried running the trailer a/c at home, the circuit breaker in the house blew. I upgraded the circuit. Then I tried again and the extension cord got very hot. I upgraded from an ordinary extension cord to a heavy duty cord.

That worked just fine.

Moral of the story: my guess is that you know more about electricity than I do. But to anyone reading this who is not an expert, it is a good idea to check that your home circuit is up to the task and that you have a sufficiently beefy extension cord.

Only problem I have ever had was with a CHEAP walmart adapter. It got pretty hot. But the more beefy ones didn't.

as for the drop cord. It once was 100'. but the Dog ate part of it. It is pretty beefy as well. and also I can't remember what gauge it is as it is 30+ years old as well. But while it was bought to run the popup AC, and lights. It mostly runs the table saw, Band saw, lights and drill press in my little workshop.. However when it is hooked to the TT. That is all it runs. Except for the air compressor when I am airing the tires on the TV, and TT.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Twenty years of RVing. That’s amazing.
Actually 40 years of camping.20 years with popups, 20 years with a TT.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Because you see when you forget to turn the AC off at the CG, and then a couple weeks later you need to cool the fridge. So you plug into the house. the AC instantly starts. It didn't hesitate, it didn't struggle. Just BAM and it was running full speed.

So yeah. the house current will run the AC. I already knew that. BTW. I've done it for 20 years on 3 different campers.

So you are the guy that is destroying all those campground outlets?

I would guess not. I flip the breakers before I unplug, and before I plug in. Plus the AC wasn't running when we broke camp. So nope
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion, notice that Terry succeeded in running the a/c at ohm. Resistance is futile.

And Terry, I am glad that worked out for you. The first time I tried running the trailer a/c at home, the circuit breaker in the house blew. I upgraded the circuit. Then I tried again and the extension cord got very hot. I upgraded from an ordinary extension cord to a heavy duty cord.

That worked just fine.

Moral of the story: my guess is that you know more about electricity than I do. But to anyone reading this who is not an expert, it is a good idea to check that your home circuit is up to the task and that you have a sufficiently beefy extension cord.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Details
A/C Unit...13.5K or 15K
House outlet....20/15A, 30A etc
Converter ON...battery charging
Other trailer AC Loads

AC Voltage

yer takin all the fun out of it,,,,
next we would have heard he was chargin his tesla, an runnin an electric smoker off the same 20 amp plug!!!!!!!!
what a spoilsport.

Yeah....or a 15 amp....but the devil is always in the details.

And 90 feet from the electric service panel.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Details
A/C Unit...13.5K or 15K
Other trailer AC Loads

AC Voltage

next we would have heard he was chargin his tesla, an runnin an electric smoker off the same 20 amp plug!!!!!!!!
what a spoilsport.

Yeah....or a 15 amp....but the devil is always in the details.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t resist staying current on voltage issues. Watt a guy I am.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Details
A/C Unit...13.5K or 15K
Other trailer AC Loads

AC Voltage

what a spoilsport.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty years of RVing. That’s amazing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Details
A/C Unit...13.5K or 15K
Other trailer AC Loads

AC Voltage
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Ah senility. Every few minutes it's a whole new world.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

So you are the guy that is destroying all those campground outlets?