Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: We have a toilet issue......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> We have a toilet issue......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

replace the seal. It's easy. Amazon is your friend.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Vaseline is petroleum based, I would not put that on rubber gaskets.

I agree with Old-Biscuit, but I’ve used vegetable oil to rejuvenate a seal that leaked. Additionally I recommend putting an inch of vegetable oil in the toilet to keep the seal in good condition if you store for a while. It will keep the seal lubricated, and it won’t evaporate.

I use Olive Oil when RV not in use
Doesn't turn rancid like some vegetable oils can

As for changing seal......really depends on Brand/Model of toilet
Some you have to remove toilet, separate base/bowel to change
So REALLY depends on WHICH Toilet.

That is why......1st step is thorough cleaning and lubing which many times is all that is needed

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Vaseline is petroleum based, I would not put that on rubber gaskets.

I agree with Old-Biscuit, but I’ve used vegetable oil to rejuvenate a seal that leaked. Additionally I recommend putting an inch of vegetable oil in the toilet to keep the seal in good condition if you store for a while. It will keep the seal lubricated, and it won’t evaporate.

The seals are not rubber, they are neoprene, and vasoline or any other petroleum base will not hurt them !

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toilet bowl seal lube

Used this once to rejuvenate a seal. Worked perfectly. I use it when unit is sitting. No more problems.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delwhjr wrote:

Toilet bowl seal lube

Used this once to rejuvenate a seal. Worked perfectly. I use it when unit is sitting. No more problems.

X2. I've used this a couple of times with really good results. I keep a container of in on hand for occasional use when the RV is going to be sitting for a few days or when the leaking problem reoccurs. Hope this helps.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 years fulltiming using vaseline on a Dometic 320, ZERO issues.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a new Mallard mh in '88. Bought a new Itasca in 2001. And another new Itasca in 2015.
Never had a problem with the toilets in the Mallard or the 2001 Itasca, but in the 2015 Itasca both the seal and the fresh water valve in the toilet have gone bad, and they are not replaceable. It's a Thetford.
I'm trying to find a new one. Because toilets come in different size configurations I went to a local RV Dealer. And was told that because of the Covid 19 they could not get net RV toilets for maybe a year. So I did some online shopping and ordered a Dometic, it came yesterday, and will not fit.
The detailed dimensions are in the instructions. If the dimensions had been in with the sales information I would have not ordered that model.
Not sure what we are going to do. Nowhere can I find dimensions published in any sales information.

Dusty

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

We bought a new Mallard mh in '88. Bought a new Itasca in 2001. And another new Itasca in 2015.
Never had a problem with the toilets in the Mallard or the 2001 Itasca, but in the 2015 Itasca both the seal and the fresh water valve in the toilet have gone bad, and they are not replaceable. It's a Thetford.
I'm trying to find a new one. Because toilets come in different size configurations I went to a local RV Dealer. And was told that because of the Covid 19 they could not get net RV toilets for maybe a year. So I did some online shopping and ordered a Dometic, it came yesterday, and will not fit.
The detailed dimensions are in the instructions. If the dimensions had been in with the sales information I would have not ordered that model.
Not sure what we are going to do. Nowhere can I find dimensions published in any sales information.

Dusty

I looked up the Dometic 310 and the installation manual is available online with all the dimensions.

LRBill

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the olive oil did not do the trick. Must have a small crack in the seal.

The toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic II . Ceramic bowl. I'll have to look into a new seal I'm guessing....

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Bill

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exploded Parts List with internal Links to Manual, Videos etc

Bowel and base have to be separated in order to replace bowel seal...bolts are accessed via cutout on back of bowel.
If you have enough room between back wall and bowel---otherwise toilet has to be removed which would require a new floor flange gasket

Check the ball valve for cracks, chips, gouges which will allow water to leak from bowel

Good luck!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> We have a toilet issue......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.