cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powering multiple low voltage devices in the truck

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's getting to be a wiring mess in the F150. In a year, we're ordering a SD.

When towing, I have
  • Rear trailer camera
  • GPS (like to run both this and Waze when towing)
  • Front dash cam
  • TPMS (is the Ford Kit worth it?)
  • 2 phones

Would it make more sense to get the overhead switches on the SD and wire things back to the fuse box? Any other suggestions to control the explosion of wires
8 REPLIES 8

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
and cell phones?
The safest thing to do, which will add more wires, is to power everything off a little inverter.
What happens with modern vehicles is the electronics you have plugged into a DC outlet can talk to the vehicle in some instances. To eliminate this the power inverter seperates the electrical signals so there is no cross talk.
When I say, talk to, I mean the devices put off signals, electrical surges, static, whatever, and the vehicle CPU might read this as a sensor on the vehicle and then do something odd like make minor engine adjustments.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous truck I purchased an add on fuse block with 8 or 10 flat blade fuse slots. I mounted it high up on the insid right kick panel and ran an 8 gage wire to the battery. I added a 30 or 40 amp fuse in the wire near the battery. That gave me plenty of additional power for adding a CB radio, stereo speaker amplifier, cigarette lighter plug for a spot light and circuits for any other 12V DC toys I added.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these mounted in the inside bottom of the center console:
Power Box
It connects to the 12v aux connector in the console.

And one of these on the top:
Tray

I ran long usb to micro usb or c connectors depending on the device under and through the trim pieces on the console and door jambs. My GPS has a 12v plug which had a long enough cord to allow it to be routed under the trim.
I am running a phone, GPS( the one in the truck is not suitable for towing), TPMS monitor, rear observation monitor, and a dash cam through all this.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would run some of the items on a dedicated fused circuit straight from the battery and not through the factory fuse block.
GPS, front dash cam and cell phone chargers would be connected to this source.
I am guessing that they are all USB type connection. They would not draw that much!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of these installed behind my dash and wired to the fuse box.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t need a rear camera when moving forward. My GPS, when on, is on the dash screen. Neither of our phones needs constant charging.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine