cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route

Explorer
Explorer
What is the best route from Norfolk Va.to Newport RI. Kind of wanted to stay away from the chaos and arrive alive. Dont mind if it takes a little longer.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.
10 REPLIES 10

Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
What is the best route from Norfolk Va.to Newport RI. Kind of wanted to stay away from the chaos and arrive alive. Dont mind if it takes a little longer.

I would go up 64 to 95 in Richmond..take 95 north to rt 17 up thru Warrenton,Va to 66 to 81
Stay on 81 to 78 just past Harrisburg,Pa....Stay on 78 to 287 north to Sufferin,NY to 87 north to 84....Stay on 84 into Connecticut last Waterbury...then take 691 to 91 north for 10 miles or so...then take Ct rt 9 to 95 and up to RI...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Round about way but take I-64 west to I-81 North in to PA and hit I-84 East into mid Conn and head back over to I-95 etc. You miss it all.

It may be a roundabout way but, I think it's the best route to take.
When you bypass Washington, Baltimore, Philly and NYC it's a great route!

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
We live on Maryland's Eastern Shore and make periodic trips to the Boston area. The route that works best for us is to take Rt 13 north. At Dover,DE take Rt 1 to Delaware Memorial Bridge, then NJ turnpike to 287 West to 87 North. Take 84 East at Newburgh into Connecticut. We stay on 84 through CT and take 90 to Boston. (From 84, not sure what route to get to Newport.) From Norfolk, you will cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on Rt 13 north.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Round about way but take I-64 west to I-81 North in to PA and hit I-84 East into mid Conn and head back over to I-95 etc. You miss it all.

As a truck driver itโ€™s my proven choice. From south of IH-64, IH-95 is easy all the way to Miami (or Floridaโ€™s Turnpike). But never use it north from Richmond until past NYC.

It ALSO avoids the mess the Carolinas have become. Avoid cutting W too soon. The bypass south of Richmond (and 64) are wide open running all the way to 81.

When ones destination is between Richmond & NYC, not much helps. IH-287, sure, but thereโ€™s ALWAYS choke points and back ups somewhere.

FWIW, run 81N to intersect IH-87 N of 287 and use IH-90 to get into New England works fine. Turn south when desired.

All the traffic is on the coastal plain. The above is the back-thru-the-woods alternative. Much nicer in every way. Just takes longer.

Thereโ€™s plenty to see and enjoy in the high density areas. Iโ€™d never avoid it and miss those. Most US history is inside that.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
From Norfolk, the CBBT and US 13 look awfully inviting. I haven't personally taken that route ever, though. From there, I'd find my way to take I-287 around the NYC area, staying on it to I-95 in Connecticut (which is often fairly congested, but not like going through the middle of NYC). Do be careful to avoid the various parkways in New York and Connecticut as they are for automobiles only, with good reason, and some are otherwise rather obvious routes. The Garden State Parkway in New Jersey does permit RVs.

Ferndaleflyer's route via I-81 is not a terrible option, either. I-84 in New York (especially) and in Pennsylvania had quite rough pavement the last time I was on it, a few years ago.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to work for the Navy and often did trips that included various locations like Mayport, Norfolk, Quantico, DC, Philly, Mechanicsburgh, PA and Newport.

Was forced to drive trying to meet a schedule so it often required hitting the worst places at the worst times.

The trick I learned about DC is to just miss rush hour. Itโ€™s a snap between 10:30pm and 6am. I had a hotel I used a lot just north of Towson and one just south of Fredericksburg. Iโ€™d stretch south of Richmond if I could. Iโ€™d just time it so I could hit DC at night, check in to a hotel and get a late check out (easy when you are gold/premier) and roll on when I woke up.

You could probably do the same thing if you had an overnight stop identified.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps many cell phones, alternate route and you get choices.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know which route you should take, but I know from experience you should stay out of DC and New York on I-95. The 'cross bronx expressway' crosses the bronx but there is no express to it! Made atlanta traffic look like a sunday evening drive.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow