cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery/Inverter question for winter

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I removed my battery for the winter. I turned the battery disconnect to off because I keep my trailer plugged in all winter. Do I need to unplug the inverter? It is used to supply 120 volts to the residential fridge when we tow. Fridge is off. The reason I ask about unplugging the inverter is because once the battery was removed, I would hear a click every couple of seconds. I don't think I need power going from the inverter to the battery cables that are now disconnected but this is my first rig with an inverter.
15 REPLIES 15

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“There is 10 volt power to the inverter.” Yes, you are guessing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
That is for the pass through. When plugged into shore power the 120v bypasses the inverter and goes to the load the inverter is connected to.
Doesn't that require a transfer switch? I guess this is dedicated to the refridge, and would be plugged into some outlet after the main shore.

This is a totally different version of 'pass though' I'm familiar with.

It has a built in transfer switch.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
That is for the pass through. When plugged into shore power the 120v bypasses the inverter and goes to the load the inverter is connected to.
Doesn't that require a transfer switch? I guess this is dedicated to the refridge, and would be plugged into some outlet after the main shore.

This is a totally different version of 'pass though' I'm familiar with.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
Is the A/C power there to charge the battery?
Here's what I got from its specs:

" Just plug it into an AC outlet to connect directly to the RV’s AC system. It will convert DC to AC with DC inputs between 10 to 15 volts..." It also states there is no charger.

I don't understand. It's not a charger, but why it's plugged into AC I don't know. Maybe that means you plug an ac wire into it, and their wording is confusing. Nothing about its having a transfer switch.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
Is the A/C power there to charge the battery?
Here's what I got from its specs:

" Just plug it into an AC outlet to connect directly to the RV’s AC system. It will convert DC to AC with DC inputs between 10 to 15 volts..." It also states there is no charger.

I don't understand. It's not a charger, but why it's plugged into AC I don't know. Maybe that means you plug an ac wire into it, and their wording is confusing. Nothing about its having a transfer switch.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is 10 volt power to the inverter. I am guessing it is sort of a bypass for when plugged into shore power. I do not exactly know how these works. I have no idea how it is wired to the A/C outlet the fridge is plugged in to. Is the A/C power there to charge the battery? Does plugging into the outlet basically backfeed it to the plugs? The info on the website for it says plug it into an outlet to connect it to the A/C system.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you removed the battery and INSULATE the positive lead (Wrap it in plastic or something like that) the inverter .. if not a pass through model.. IS OFF.

If it is a pass through model and you are plugged into shore power.. You might do better to leave the battery but no matter. I'd turn it off.

In any case you should turn it off before disconnecting/reconnecting battery.

Same for everything else.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, but you didn't answer about the 120v to it... what am I missing?

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
The owners manual was worthless. Thats why I came here to ask. This is my first experience with inverters. When I bought the trailer, the dealer said leave it on all the time, but this year I took the battery out for the winter. Normally I keep it in the trailer but I want to see if I can keep my battery alive a little longer by not leaving it out in the winter.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As for the clicking, it may be capacitors unloading or it has an internal battery. Of course, an owner's manual may offer a better answer.

I'm a bit confused. You have constant 120v power to your inverter? That model you state is just an inverter, so, not sure what's up here.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
My inverter has a 120 volt plug. It was clicking when it was plugged in. I unplugged it just so there would be n o juice going to the battery cables in case they touched. Jus did not know if turning it off with it not attached to anything would cause a problem for the inverter since 120 volts is still going to it.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have no battery the inverter is already unplugged.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inverter is WFCO Model WF-5110HP. Last year kept the battery in and the trailer plugged in. It gets too cold here to leave the fridge on all winter...and there is nothing in it, but come summer, I leave it on with items in it.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I also keep mine plugged in 365 days a year. I do not remove my batteries and do not cut the residential frig off. Personally I think it is better for the frig to stay on just like it was designed to do. When I had the propane/frig I did cut it off during the winter as it uses a different technology for cooling. Just my two cents worth.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023