Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Electronic Driving Systems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Electronic Driving Systems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay,

I only disagree on the safety. There are many pictures of motor homes after a crash. They are NOT pretty.

Are Motorhomes tested at all in the way other vehicles are?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably need more information on your objective. Is it to have systems to make driving easier, or is the safety of a MH your concern? Not too sure "rollover protection" really exists in a MH. Sure there are frames that might sustain a rollover better but how often does that really happen? And when it does, even on the most robust frames, there is risk of being beaten or crushed to death by everything flying around inside. Take any condo and shake it like a snow globe. MH's are not meant to be crashed. They aren't crash tested and while systems do exist to make driving easier and by default perhaps safer, if you're going to roll, it's due to forces strong enough that none of these systems can compensate for. That said, it very rarely happens and is usually a result of something like a crash or blowout or negligence. We previously owned Class A MH's and knew in a crash they wouldn't do as much to protect occupants as other vehicles. We took precautions but it's an apartment bolted to a chassis.

* This post was edited 09/22/20 12:52pm by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

,,, Are Motorhomes tested at all in the way other vehicles are?,,,

For class A's not recently by the manufactures, a third party or required by the government. Winnebago did some testing 30 years ago or so and there's also the Wonderlodge roll over testing from around the same time but little if any since.

And due to the average class A weighing in excess of 8K Lbs most of the state or federal DOT regulations for a lot of the latest's safety devices (stability control, adaptive cruise, rear camera, driver/passenger airbags, antitheft and such) don't apply. Seat belts, safety glass and a few other items are about it.

You do have one big gain over the average daily driver, your ankles are probably higher than their roof line of most vehicles on the road. Get hit by something smaller and they go under your seat and into the chassis. Blow a steer tire at 65MPH and all bets are off regarding a good outcome.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

BlendedRVFam

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollover protection isn't my main objective. Mainly looking for safety systems like smart cruise control and braking assistance. I realize prevention is probably our best bet in walking away from a crash but love the idea of additional electronic safety systems to help prevent a crash by slowing down or braking early.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do any have smart cruise control and emergency braking? That is all I would want given today’s technology.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 08 HR Navigator has the optional Vorad radar cruise and blind spot sensors. Even when not using cruise it will alert you to a big difference in speed. Probably only once in 20K miles has it been ahead of me on the need to get on the brakes. ..turning PU with no rear lights. When using the cruise you need to monitor your desired speed as it will have you going slower...you need to pass the slower vehicle. Even on the shortest distance it keeps me further back than my normal distance...probably a good thing.

I assume all DPs have ATC...traction control.

Both Monaco and Country Coach built all steel shells. Monaco on the Dynasty, Exe, and Sig. HR on the Septer and Navigator. Without going to a converted bus $$$$, the big Monaco’s are one of the safer rigs.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

found this with a google search

Quote:

Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp. (FCCC) also offers a proprietary suite of safety systems called RoadWatch. Available on FCCC’s popular XC and XL chassis, RoadWatch includes Adaptive Cruise Control, radar-based Collision Mitigation with Forward Warning & Active Braking, Electronic Stability Controls, Roll Stability Control and Automatic Traction Control.
RoadWatch features and components can also be ordered individually by the coachbuilder.
“There are several manufacturers currently offering RoadWatch as an option on their models, and we’re working with several more to make it an option on some of their models beginning next year,” said Bryan Henke, manager of product marketing at FCCC.

roadwatch pdf brochure

BlendedRVFam

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the search info, I know about those security features. Just wondering what years and models offer the additional options! : )

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BlendedRVFam wrote:

Thanks for the search info, I know about those security features. Just wondering what years and models offer the additional options! : )

Sounds like it's dependent on the model and whether or not those options were ordered and it's not a hard and fast - "this model in this year had it and these didn't". I would think you just add it to your criteria and start looking for coaches you like and see if it has those options. I wouldn't hang my hat on it though as a decision to buy/not a buy a coach. My first priority would be a floorplan that works and how well it was taken care of. If it had those options great, but a coach with anti-rollover that wasn't taken care of or a floorplan that doesn't work isn't the right deal. If it's a "have to have" good luck. Sounds like a needle in a needle stack.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Electronic Driving Systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.