cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie with a Dutch Oven

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a "new" to us Dutch oven that will be going on our camping trip next month. Would like to know from those with experience what would be one of the first things we should try until we have experience under our belt.

Would kind of like a one pot meal that we could experiment with that is tried and true.

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandblast is right. You can wash them all you want, you just can't let them sit around when they are wet.

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
It's a myth that you can't wash cast iron with hot soapy water. In fact, that's the preference. What you can't do is put it in the dishwasher which isn't usually an issue while camping.

Been doing this for years
My mom and grandmas Griswolds
Watched `em do it and continue

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great idea for stroganoff. I like it with elk or bison meat. Nutmeg adds a lot to the dish.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I think Iโ€™m gonna make beef stroganoff tonight. Itโ€™s a good excuse to build a fire and relax with my feet up while cooking supper too.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I recently read and posted that crumpled aluminum foil makes cleanup easier (not easy). Can't verify from experience.

PLEASE don't do this. Please.

It's a myth that you can't wash cast iron with hot soapy water. In fact, that's the preference. What you can't do is put it in the dishwasher which isn't usually an issue while camping.

My wife and I are both professional chefs and use cast iron daily. Cook, wash, then DRY completely over low heat.

Dutch ovens are great for many things, including hard crust bread.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Piddlers wrote:
We have a "new" to us Dutch oven that will be going on our camping trip next month. Would like to know from those with experience what would be one of the first things we should try until we have experience under our belt.

Would kind of like a one pot meal that we could experiment with that is tried and true.

Thanks!

Gumbo?

https://youtu.be/4ESvZSmROKo

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!! I appreciate the input.

Thanks again -

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The chart" is an example of why some people collect iron cooking implements but never use them. I know lots of people in that category. They look at things like this and get intimidated. I know a guy that has table, a free standing fire place and 5 DOs. He has never used them even once.

If you start with a stew or roast and "use some wood coals" on it you can't go wrong.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting chart Vintage. Thanks for sharing.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think a roll of "crack and pop" biscuits is a great way to start with the Dutch Oven. Here's why: They're cheap. They require next to no effort to make. If you screw it up by being to hot or cold with the coals, you've lost next to nothing in $$$$ or time.
Below is a guide to assist with learning the right amount of coals to use with different Dutch Oven sizes.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
ppine wrote:
Chili has no beans.
If you put beans in it then it is something else.
According the International Chili Society.

Right........It just became something else.......Chili....with beans........pretty simple
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are starting out stay with one pot meals with fat in them. You need to get over your reluctance to cook in iron pots and build your confidence.

Making bread, biscuits or other baking requires much more finesse. Set yourself up for success.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Cornbread is always a good place to start. I made whiskey, peach, bar b quad chicken thighs last weekend. MMMMM GOOD!and easy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck roast. A few hours and you have a tender meat. Remove and add chicken stock, potatoes, carrots and any other vegetables. Bring to a simmer and cook till done. Really good.

You can get the basics from dutch oven videos on Youtube. Here's a good one:
Dutch oven cooking for beginners.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus