cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper vs Mustang ... not a great idea.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope this is obvious to most people, but don’t fall in the trap of trying to follow a sports car through the curves with your truck/truck camper, or any other regular vehicle for that matter.

Coming down from one of the passes I had a newer GM SRW with newer truck camper attempt to follow me at the same speed. I wasn’t going that fast, but even the speed limit is fast when the recommended curve speed is 20 or more mph slower.

Luckily, he got his truck whoa’d up and made the curve. Afterwards, he immediately slowed down. I don’t think he realized that the recommended speed sign was for him. In any case, a reminder for those of you new to truck campers. They don’t handle like sports cars or even regular cars for that matter.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
13 REPLIES 13

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
This why I like to keep a good distance with the TC. I find I don't fall into a visual/ psychological trackor beam so much. Too close and you get fixated on the bumper in front of you and it sucks you into the corner with way too much mustard.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could go 5 or 7 over without others getting mad about it. What is the speed limit anyhow?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, fun with a lowered sport suspension and manual. Your wife’s pretty car is probably a lot newer and more powerful. Mine is tuned, but a ‘07. Still about new at 40K miles.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Likey!!! Nice wheels. :W

Yep, that would be fun on a twisty road for sure. With the top down, too! :C

The boss’s Bullitt. She won’t let me drive it, she knows I’d flog it. :B

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
What kinda ‘Stang?

This one ... at wife’s parents.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Uh.....Jim, all I wanna know is.......
What kinda ‘Stang?

But yes, yellow speed limit signs. Pay attention when hauling.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
I think this applies to driving in general... So many are getting behind the wheel with no idea how the vehicle they're driving handles, and get themselves into trouble.

I think modern technology compensates for a lack of driving skill. Even older cars updated with modern suspension components do not handle as good as modern computer controlled suspensions. Left, Right, Stop, Go seem to be the only constraints to driving, 'plan ahead' is no longer prevalent.
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
So many are getting into truck camping without any idea on sway and instability..

I think this applies to driving in general... So many are getting behind the wheel with no idea how the vehicle they're driving handles, and get themselves into trouble.

I think the scary part is, someone gets in a top heavy vehicle and doesn't realize it will not handle like a Mustang or any lower riding car.
Common sense isn't so common.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“but with the Hensley Arrow hitch you could cruise at 70 mph easily in most conditions.”

Over a hundred feet per second. Ever try an emergency stop from 70?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
It applies to much more than listed.
My close friend drives Honda and often rides with me in Mercedes.
I have "genetic" love for sharp cornering and from time to time my friend comments "I would roll my Honda at this speed"

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
So many are getting into truck camping without any idea on sway and instability..

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
That reminds me of my new neighbor when I saw he had an AF-990..He has it in a newer Chevy DRW so I asked..How does it handle and he said..If the corner mph says 35..You better be going 35 mph because I learned the hard way, with my AF-990..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good reminder, and I'm excited to actually get my 2002 Lance 811 on my truck!

I'm used to towing a 9k travel trailer, but with the Hensley Arrow hitch you could cruise at 70 mph easily in most conditions. Keep the gain and the lead on the trailer brakes turned up and stopping distance was decent.

I'll be running close to max with the Ram, but I'm holding off with any suspension mods until I make a few trips and see how she handles.

But you nailed my #1 concern: not so much the weight per se but how the height of the load will affect stability. Cross winds on the interstate and another concern.