cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv what do you miss?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I know there has been a million threads about Directv vs. Dish. I am not asking about which service is best. My question is ONLY for those that have switched to Dish. What are some of the things that you miss that Directv offered? Hardware, user interface, programing etc? Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
I know there has been a million threads about Directv vs. Dish. I am not asking about which service is best. My question is ONLY for those that have switched to Dish. What are some of the things that you miss that Directv offered? Hardware, user interface, programing etc? Thanks.

Loooong time DTV customer.

Switched to Dish. Just some "getting used to it".

"DirecTV what do you miss?" = *nothing* !!

:W

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could pull into a site, level and be watching TV in 10 minutes. Better movies with Direct. No HD with Direct however
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I have DirecTV nearly anywhere I go. Even in my pickup via their app via our Mobley. I have DirecTV on my mower and HK headset.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I don't miss anything since I still have DirecTV and plan on keeping it.

One thing I do miss is the lack of NFL since it seems to be coming back. I don't watch it EVER!
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I dropped DirectTv 10 years go for cable (at home). 4 Years ago I dropped CAble TV for internet only and streaming devices. What do I miss? Nothing. I save hundreds per year. Our family enjoys a lot more non-screen time, especially away from our home.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do I miss? The bill and the set up (I don't do subscription TV and to be honest I don't miss those things one bit)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
My wife misses NFL Sunday ticket. She grew up near Buffalo and is a glutton for punishment.
I see all the Packers games on locals.

Otherwise I do not miss DTV at all. We switched to YoutubeTV.

Edit. I see you are asking about DTV to Dish. Sorry.
But if I made that switch I would be livid Dish hasn't come to terms with Fox for the regional sports channels. Its been about 2 years IIRC.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Switched from DTV to Dish years ago when we wanted to get tv in the RV. No HD tv with the DTV portable dishes. Setting up my Winegard X2 couldn't be easier.
As to service. Dish beats DTV hands down IMO. When we had DTV is was a loooong wait on the phone to get issues taken care of. Dish is so much quicker.
As far as programming, I suppose it's subjective. No HBO on Dish but we don't watch the premium channels anyways. Like the NFL but after watching college football all day Saturday I'm a little burnt out on watching the NFL on Sunday. Plus DTV won't offer the Pac12 Network so that was one of 2 main reasons for our switch.
As for software and ease of use, I have to go with DTV. Although it's been many years since we had DTV, when we did have it, it was easier to navigate.
Dish can be frustrating at times with occasional freezes and other glitches.

We camp a lot where there's not enough cell signal if any to be able to stream, so having satellite tv is our go to for extra entertainment. The nice thing about Dish vs DTV when RV'ing is you can stop and start anytime and use your phone to activate. A simple no hassle phone call will get your locals changed if needed. Back when we had DTV and a manual dish it was a constant hassle to get locals or for that matter any RV satellite help from DTV.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
I Like the fact that with Dish I can go to their mobile app and change local channels within 5 minutes. DirecTV is a phone call and an hour wait usually.

Little wait time if you call the โ€œmoving my DirecTv number. Those folks know what they are doing.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I Like the fact that with Dish I can go to their mobile app and change local channels within 5 minutes. DirecTV is a phone call and an hour wait usually.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest issue with Dish is no NFL Sunday Ticket. For me, it was the reason for Directv. For 50 years my team had run the gamut between fringe contender, to irrelevant, to complete suck. The only way to consistently see them was either move to the city, buy season tickets and go to the game or buy the Ticket. Thankfully, the worm has turned. My team is now must see TV, and the vast majority of their games are the national broadcast. The few that aren't are a great excuse to go to a sports bar. So now, Dish is as good a choice. Like someone else posted, the only other real drawback is getting to learn a new remote and a new channel guide. And of course you still have to navigate the occasional pricing feud when either Dish or Directv has to black out a network during the standoff.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We had direct in the house and dish in RV. We had direct for many years and moved a box back and forth. We put dish in the RV and it took some time to get use to the guide. Now we have dish in the house and the RV on one account. When you get use to how it works they are both fine.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
dennis1949 wrote:
swapped about six months ago. Direct TV is easier to set up in RV. I like Direct Tv DVR better than dish. easier to use. I like saving $40.00 a month over Direct TV

Easier to set up in RV...as in easier to aim antenna?? What are issues with Dish DVR? I like the $40 savings too!

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
YES network

Fascinating. Did not know YES Network was offered by Directv.