cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone traveling to Vermont for leaf season?

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to Vermont? Are there covid restrictions?
19 REPLIES 19

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
stew47 wrote:
โ€œThereโ€™s no evil conspiracy, just a computer algorithm. โ€œ

Good thatโ€™s easy to figure out... their algorithm is wrong. Thereโ€™s no sin in that. It happens. Needs more work and more input.

With all due respect, no, it is not wrong, it is intentionally skewed. It is not meant to be a definitive case count, it is a guide to whoโ€™s in a safer or riskier area.

In dealing with a deadly virus I doubt anyone could fault them for wanting to be cautious.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThereโ€™s no evil conspiracy, just a computer algorithm. โ€œ

Good thatโ€™s easy to figure out... their algorithm is wrong. Thereโ€™s no sin in that. It happens. Needs more work and more input.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
What did I miss?

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I've deleted all the comments from TxGearhead. It's safe to return to this thread now.

Thank you.

dedmiston
I've deleted all the comments from TxGearhead. It's safe to return to this thread now.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Thereโ€™s no evil conspiracy, just a computer algorithm.

Never let reading the fine print prevent a good conspiracy theory.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The website very clearly says โ€œ The most recent infection data is pulled once a week from Johns Hopkins University's (โ€œJohns Hopkinsโ€) COVID-19 GitHub repository and the New York Department of Healthโ€™s website, then put through a viral load algorithm to assess an estimated number of active cases per million for gauging relative risk of interstate travel.โ€œ.

Again โ€œ... assess an estimated number of active cases...โ€.

Thereโ€™s no evil conspiracy, just a computer algorithm.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I think John Hopkins is full of it. I donโ€™t have the time to go through and look at a bunch of counties. I did pick hillsborough county new hamphsire since itโ€™s where one poster is from. 222 cases per million. Should be pretty accurate as thereโ€™s 400000 residents. Then oxford courty Maine. They have 5 cases. 50000 residents so thatโ€™s 100 per million. Iโ€™m starting to think Vermont may destroy their fall tourist season based on bs info. Whether itโ€™s intentional isnโ€™t something I could guess.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
ACZL wrote:
I was once told by a former RV club member to which we were members of that " Figures don't lie, but liars can figure".

So who is lying?

I don't think he's implying anyone is "lying" here but that numbers can be manipulated to get the result you want, following the "Statistics don't lie but statisticians do" mantra.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
I was once told by a former RV club member to which we were members of that " Figures don't lie, but liars can figure".

So who is lying?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
They give the sources for the data: John Hopkins University and the New York Department of Health. The map is updated weekly, so things may well (probably will) change around some by the time foliage season peaks. It does make planning in advance quite difficult--both for those traveling into the state and for those in the state desiring to travel elsewhere, since the quarantine requirements naturally also apply to returning residents.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
stew47 wrote:
Well scratch that. Our county is in the 400 to 799 column. Which doesnโ€™t make sense cause we currently have 20 positives and population of 100000.

They base it on a per million ratio, which puts the number above what they want.

The website says it's "estimated" cases so it seems somewhat arbitrary. Their state, their rules I guess.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
stew47 wrote:
Well scratch that. Our county is in the 400 to 799 column. Which doesnโ€™t make sense cause we currently have 20 positives and population of 100000.

They base it on a per million ratio, which puts the number above what they want.

Itโ€™s pretty easy for us with a population of 100000. Take 20 times 10. I donโ€™t know where they obtain their figures but in our case they are wrong.