cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35-foot fiver in Grand Canyon Mather?

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Some ten years ago, I camped at Grand Canyon Mather with a 35-foot (including hitch) fifth-wheel. I showed up with no reservation, the Mather check-in person assigned me to a pull-through, and I had no problem.

I realize that today you have to have a reservation. But the on-line information is not very helpful, and I imagine that if I call for reservations then I will be talking to someone who is just looking at a computer screen. The sites all have limits of "30 feet or less".

Question: Have any of you recently been able to get into Mather with a 35-footer? Have any of your reserved a pull-through that you could not get into with a 35-footer?
8 REPLIES 8

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
You may already know; a lot of the pull-through sites with shorter posted limits can be accessed by backing into the exit side as opposed to actually pulling through. I had a 38 footer and found this to work, when actually pulling through would be impossible. I found this worked in several national park campground sites that had smaller size designations than I needed.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I too had previously showed up at Mather in a 32 footer and had no problem. Fast forward 5 years and they wouldn't let me in because they said people had been complaining because they had scraped tree branches. The ranger I spoke with said limiting things to shorter RV's was easier than trimming the trees or listening to complaints.

I agree with Veebyes... while it is really nice to camp in the park, you don't go to the GC for the camping experience.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also have a 35'LOA 5er.

Last time at the GC we took a drive through Mather scouting the possibilities. The pickins were slim. There were a few, very few, long enough however there were very narrow access roads, tight turns & hazards like trees & boulders making using any of these sites all but impossible.

We are not easily discouraged. 30' limit CGs have never stopped us.

Get a site in carpark styled Trailer Village & be done with it. You don't go to GC for the camping experience.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Thom02099, I did not know about that website.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyF wrote:
Some ten years ago, I camped at Grand Canyon Mather with a 35-foot (including hitch) fifth-wheel. I showed up with no reservation, the Mather check-in person assigned me to a pull-through, and I had no problem.

I realize that today you have to have a reservation. But the on-line information is not very helpful, and I imagine that if I call for reservations then I will be talking to someone who is just looking at a computer screen. The sites all have limits of "30 feet or less".

Question: Have any of you recently been able to get into Mather with a 35-footer? Have any of your reserved a pull-through that you could not get into with a 35-footer?

Haven't been to Mather, but H E R E - Mather Photos is a website that provides pics of each site within Mather. The pics were taken during colder weather when there's some snow on the ground, but I think you might be able to get a good perspective of the sites, such as that #103 that was noted in a post above.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Two hands: I've camped in Trailer Village, but I would rather be in Mather if it is still possible.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
There are about 6 to 10 sites that will take a 35 footer. I think site 103 is one of the largest. The reservation.gov new website does not show a good map and I did not keep a record of where we stayed..

See if you can get to talk to the actual person at the campground check-in place.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Trailer Village Campground in the Park. Plenty of spaces to hold your fiver. Make reservations.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"