Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Peak Blue Platinum DEF
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Peak Blue Platinum DEF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deposits 1

Deposits 2

Deposits 3

Deposits 4

Deposits 5

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

It sounds good. I'm interested in learning what the cost will be and it would be nice if the shelf life was greater than the 18 months regular Blue DEF provides.

Shelf life? Fill at the truck stop $2.99 a gallon and always fresh, refill as needed.

That you get at the pump is never completely fresh. They just pour the new into the tank on top of the old and it all gets diluted. The old just keeps getting more diluted each time but never completely goes away. So you end up with multiple ages of DEF all mixed together.
Better or worse than the jug? Who can say?

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

since def is defined by standards in what it must consist of and only consist of, I find it hard to believe they can or did add anything else.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on guys, you have $60, $70G invested in your tow what's $2.00 $3.00 more to protect your investment.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

Come on guys, you have $60, $70G invested in your tow what's $2.00 $3.00 more to protect your investment.

Good arithmetic only if it actually works. If it doesn’t, it is still a waste of good money. And frankly, as a retired chemist, I, too, see zero cause to believe this is anything more than marketing hype.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

It sounds good. I'm interested in learning what the cost will be and it would be nice if the shelf life was greater than the 18 months regular Blue DEF provides.

Shelf life? Fill at the truck stop $2.99 a gallon and always fresh, refill as needed.

That you get at the pump is never completely fresh. They just pour the new into the tank on top of the old and it all gets diluted. The old just keeps getting more diluted each time but never completely goes away. So you end up with multiple ages of DEF all mixed together.
Better or worse than the jug? Who can say?

The only places I've seen DEF at the pump are higher volume truck stops so it stands to reason they turn it over pretty quickly, and it would pretty heavily dilute the older stuff I'd think.

When it comes to DEF I'm all about convenience. Since Costco started carrying Peak Blue, that's mostly what I use because I'm there every week. I have no issues with Walmart or Pump DEF, though - it's all the same stuff.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local LOWES has regular Blue DEF for $12.98 and Platinum Blue DEF for $19.98 in the 2.5 Gallon box

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walmart has DEF for $7, and it is the same stuff as the $13 DEF and probably the same as the $20 material. And so it would be $13 a bottle more not 'a couple of bucks" almost three times the $7 stuff.

As PT Barnum supposedly said: "There is a sucker born every minute." And that's when the population was much lower the rate is probably one every few seconds these days. Especially with the stupidification of the schools.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

My local LOWES has regular Blue DEF for $12.98 and Platinum Blue DEF for $19.98 in the 2.5 Gallon box

Holy smacka-roonies !!!!! Think pump price for DEF last week was $1.99/gal where I get fuel.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take time to read thru the links I posted above, you will see that deposits from DEF into the SCR system is a long known problem. If the liquid atomized particles hit a hot surface and dry before they evaporate they will form deposits. And over time the build up of those deposits lead to problems of possible back pressure. And that would lead to reduced fuel economy. Those of you with chemical backgrounds may understand the whole process from reading the articles.

From the links above there are multiple mechanical attempts being tested to reduce those deposits. Obviously the new Peak DEF doesn't do anything to the mechanical aspects of the system. But somehow manipulating the chemical aspects of the DEF might increase the evaporation rate and reduce the deposits. Obviously a better DEF would be cheaper solution than a mechanical modification to the system.

No more DEF than I use in a year's time the small amount of money for the new and improved "Platinum" DEF is nothing and I will begin using it until proven otherwise.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Peak Blue Platinum DEF
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.